Graphic** New baby, bum doesnt look right

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Delilah1337, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Delilah1337

Delilah1337 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Spirit Lake, Idaho
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/image/id/6160602/width/400/flags/LL

Does her rear end look normal? It appears there is some sort of blockage but since this is my first hatch I want to double check. She is moving around is chirping alot, slowly getting fluffed up too :) Please tell me i'm just being a nervous nelly and that she looks fine...

2. Fly Be Free

Fly Be Free Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    I'm not sure what to make of that. I'm FAR from an expert. Is it a protrusion maybe? Can you see the vent at all?

3. Delilah1337

Sep 6, 2011
    Spirit Lake, Idaho

I think I see the vent and it looks just fine. I will be able to get a better look in a few hours when i can take her out. I want to leave her be until she is completely dry.

4. Fly Be Free

Fly Be Free Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    I don't know how long til they poop but I'd watch for that too. As long as she's up and about I wouldn't worry for now.

Praying your baby is fine.

5. ayorama

ayorama New Egg

Dec 22, 2011
    We had one hatch on Friday night with the same thing. She's able to eat and poop no problem, so I'm not really worried about it. Is your bird pooping? We had 12 eggs incubating and so far she's the ony one whe's pipped and hatched.... very very disappointing!!

6. Delilah1337

Sep 6, 2011
    Spirit Lake, Idaho
    It looks like there is a little bit of poop on the towel when she moves around but nothing like a full bowel movement. She is the only one that was due to hatch today so I cant compare her to her siblings until Wednesday at the earliest. Im definitely going to keep a close eye on her! Thank you for the prayers, I would be crushed if she didnt make it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by