(Graphic photo) Injured rooster, need advice.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jasmer, Nov 9, 2013.

1. jasmer

jasmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2012
    Something got into our chicken coop last night and killed some of our hens and injured our rooster. It looks like a canine bite from a medium sized animal, probably a coyote. We still can't figure out how it got in OR out.

Anyway the rooster has two puncture wounds, one isn't very serious, but another one is. He also has several punctures through his skin that don't appear to have gone into the muscle tissue. The puncture that worries me is also torn a bit down into the flesh on his hip and it's affecting his ability to walk. He can get around, but it's obviously painful and he limps. He's missing most of the feathers on his rump as well. We don't know if he's going to make it, but we really want to save him if we can because he's such a great bird.

[​IMG]

I dabbed it off with warm water and a clean sponge then gently patted on some diluted betadine in warm water, and then applied neosporin (the kind WITHOUT pain reliever) liberally. I was thinking of putting on some sterile gauze pads and loosely wrapping it so it stays covered, can drain safely, and doesn't get dirty.

I tried to provide some electrolytes in the form of a leftover strawberry shortcake biscuit (for sodium and sugar) and a banana, both of which he quite cheerfully tore apart like a starving hawk. He also has food and clean water. He was in shock earlier, shaking uncontrollably and felt notably cool compared to normal. This seems to have corrected itself, he is no longer shaking, his body temperature feels normal again (though I have not actually taken his temp) and he apparently felt well enough to stretch his wings and neck.

I've also put a heat lamp nearby, not close enough to make him hot, just to keep the chill away from his naked little rump.

Does anybody have any more advice?

2. davemonkey

davemonkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Liberty, TX
    If you are able to keep him indoors and in a controlled environment (dog kennel or box), it would be better to apply the anti-biotic and then leave the wounds uncovered so they can "breath", IMO.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I agree with with davemonkey about leaving it open after the neosporin. Do you have any antibiotics? Since it was a bite, I would get him started on an antibiotic such as amoxicillin, keflex, baytril, or cipro. The feed stores don't carry many antibiotics for wounds other than penicillin. Maybe your vet could prescribe something.

4. hrhta812

hrhta812 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Lebanon, IN
    Wow, that's rough! I agree with the other advice given. Keeping it clean and open will speed healing. Antibiotics are definitely a good idea - whatever bit him had bacteria in the saliva, and a deep bite puncture just places that bacteria down deep in the tissue, so normal cleansing isn't usually sufficient.

I don't know if you have any big aquarium stores near you, but many antibiotics are available for sale in fish formulas, and no Rx is needed. Even a garden center that has Koi supplies might have something on hand. I order mine, so I have stock on hand for me and the critters - Cipro, Amoxicillin, Cephalexin, Doxyclycline.

I've not used any on chickens, though, so I don't know if you can find dosage info on-line or not, but it seems like just about everything is posted somewhere. I hope he pulls through!

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    For antibiotics scroll to bottom of page here: http://www.revivalanimal.com/Fish-and-Bird-Antibiotics.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by