(graphic photo) what's killing my ducks?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Trampledbygeese, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Trampledbygeese

Trampledbygeese Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    Please help me find out what's killing my Muscovy Ducks.

It's not a raccoon - they normally tear off a leg or wing and only eat a small amount.

Whatever is doing this, is eating almost the entire duck. All that's left is a few feathers, some of the larger bones, two wings (attached together) and two legs (attached together).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Muscovy duck is large, so I cannot imagine a mink eating the entire thing in one night. I also imagine there would be more signs of a struggle. Same with a feral cat. Could it be an owl?

I caught a small feral cat in the trap overnight. It's about half the size of a dressed duck, so I cannot imagine it eating an entire duck.

They live in a fenced yard with a pond.

The ducks do not go inside at night - despite my constant attempts to train them. Catching them to take put them in their duck house is an all day task that usually ends with a visit to the clinic to stich up my hand or leg. They have talons, not claws.

So, thoughs on what's eating them? Please help.

2. Conventio Liberi

Conventio Liberi Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2010
    Indy!
    That looks like a 'yote attack but they usually run off with 'em... you just find feathers...

3. Trampledbygeese

Sep 26, 2010
    I should say that it's hunting early in the night, and I doubt it's a large predator like a dog or a cougar because I cannot see how it would get into the yard.

4. Trampledbygeese

Sep 26, 2010
    Quote:It does, doesn't it. We don't have those on this island.

Cougar, black bear, mink, raccoon, cats, dogs, ... that's about all the large predators we have.

5. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    fox maybe?

6. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you might be dealing with dual predators. Perhaps a raccoon or owl is doing the killing and then a possum or cat is coming by and cleaning up the bones? I also trapped a cat that had the carcass of one of my chickens that it had been working on for a few nights. He had it hidden under an overturned wheelbarrow and the bird still had it's apron on! Legs and wings attached like yours. Maybe a trap to see what you could get? Terri O

7. Trampledbygeese

Sep 26, 2010
    Quote:No foxes - we do have wolves, but it's been decades since they came to this part of the island.

8. Trampledbygeese

Sep 26, 2010
    Quote:Well, I did catch a tiny cat last night. Maybe that has solved it? Can a cat eat almost twice it's size in a night?

9. aShMaNv

aShMaNv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Choctaw, OK
    Look likes the work of some type of k9.

10. Trampledbygeese

Sep 26, 2010
    Quote:Possible, but there is no where for a large dog to get into the yard. We are very careful about that.

still... I'll double check the fence today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by