(GRAPHIC photos) hen laid abnormal object

Chick-a-roos

Songster
10 Years
Jun 3, 2009
Blue Ridge, GA
Emma "bantam cochin" laid this object today.
She is approx 14-15 months old.
Diet: Layena and flock raiser also vegetables/fruits/yogurt
Behavior: she eats/drinks. normal poop, acts like my other hens

Emma has not laid regular eggs in a very long time. She was laying shell-less or soft shelled eggs until May 2010 and has not laid or passed anything like this until yesterday. Yesterday she passed something similar to this but the size of a quarter and irregular shaped. I did not notice any type of odor when I cut it.

What could this be and is there anything I can do to help her?

33322_img_1591edit.jpg

33322_edit.jpg

I believe that may be an ovary... my understanding is chickens will sometimes pass them when they are diseased? That by no means looks healthy. Is she acting ok?

It looks and sounds like she may be laying internally. If they are passing through and out of her system she may be okay. Unfortunately there is no cure for internal laying.

Sorry, you need to watch her because I've had several hens die of internal laying. The one that laid something similar to yours died within 48 hours. Maybe she'll recover though. Nice clear pics. Keep us posted.

Thank you for the replies! It saddens me to know that I will prob lose her soon. I have only noticed Emma losing feather within the past week which I considered molting. She does seem more picky about what she eats but she does eat...(loves tomatoes).

Should I bring her in the house? Can I do anything to make her more comfortable?

I would not bring her in if you think it will stress her. If she seems to being doing o.k. outside keeping her normal routine might be the best option. Good luck.

Quote:
I totally agree with this post. Let her stick to the normal routine. Bringing her in will only stress her out. I'd only agree if it were very cold or very hot outside.

Quote:
I totally agree with this post. Let her stick to the normal routine. Bringing her in will only stress her out. I'd only agree if it were very cold or very hot outside.

I also agree. I have to "operate" on lots of birds and I'll always put them back in the coop, in a pen if I need to separate them till they heal, but back in the coop with their "family". I find that they perk up, heal faster, and eat/drink better. They are social animals and if you separate them, they sort of lose the wil to live.

Also, that could be any sort of "abnormality" she laid so don't give up on her. Let her continue her normal routines.

Emma still seems normal for a hen.
smile.png
Eating, drinking, pooping and taking her dust bathes! Has not passed anything abnormal since 9/13.

I did leave her in the enclosed coop/run with her other buddies (another hen Aunt Bee & roo-Opie) Those 3 have always been together since they were day old chicks.

I will continue to keep my fingers crossed and pray for a small miracle!
Thanks again for all the great replies!

Back
Top Bottom