Graphic photos** Silkie with a story & big sores! Please, please help/read!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JacP, Sep 17, 2016.

1. JacP

JacP Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2012
    So we were given a hen by a woman who no longer wanted her as she was to loud, she did a lot of squawking very vocal happy gal [​IMG]
    She went broody & started moulting kinda at the same time... Her broodieness was hard to break but we managed in the broody breaker! [​IMG]
    All seemed well... Noted about a week ago she was quiet...er... But not depressed wormed her with eprinex to ensure she was in good health with worms.
    She has continued to go down hill.
    Noticed she had a pressure sore. Likely from the molt & plucking during her broody stint she sleeps on the door of the coop. Started treating it with topical antibiotics, separated her.
    Continued down hill
    Brought her in the house & soaked her in an Epsom salt bath cleaned her skin up & put her back out I my sick chicken run...decided at that time to add in some antibiotics so started her on tetracycline A
    She has continued downhill *damit!*
    So bring her in the house soak her again this time vent is swollen & other side of her skin is ulcerating...*sigh*
    I decide to start her on a strong ( -cephalexin) antibiotic for skin/staf infection
    Treatment/care :
    *reciving 2ml x 2 daily of nutri-drench
    * in house on a towel now to help with pressure sores
    * electros in water
    * Vent being treated with prep H & anti fungal in case as idk what's going on??

* shie is being doused with triple antibiotic ointment
    * soaked daily in Epsom salt 15-20min daily
    * She is eating /drinking still on her own however I'm forcing some hand feeding formula into her to get her extra food/water
    She has not really improved it seems her skin is still ulcering??
    I have 0 idea what this could be...???
    Searched the Internet over!!!
    * not vaccinated for merks
    * not taking her to a vet .... I have to treat at home.
    I can't pull the big scab off, she is to weak at that will kill her it's hard all the way round
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Yellow on vent is nystat

2. JacP

JacP Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2012
    [​IMG]

3. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I'm so sorry about your girl. How old is she? You can continue to treat to see if she improves, however, if it were my chicken, given her breed, I would humanely dispatch and send her to the state lab for necropsy to rule out the cutaneous form of Marek's disease or any other disease that could potentially affect the rest of my flock. Best of luck.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. JacP

JacP Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2012
    Thank you for the reply,
    She is slightly better today
    I will continue to treat her until she gives up as long as she fights I'll try with/for her too
    I have suspected this breeder has mareks in her line for some time, if this hen passes she is going in for sure.
    Is there anything better for the skin?
    Or
    Could a type of mite cause the start of this??
    What about the swollen vent? Ideas?
    I feel just horrible for this poor girl

5. Chickens126

Chickens126 Just Hatched

Sep 17, 2016
    I don't believe a type of mite could start something like this. If I were u I'd keep her away from the chickens at all time. Seems to me like Marecks disease.[​IMG] I wish u the best of luck!!!

6. polish hen

polish hen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2016
    Could this possibly be fly strike?, really just taking a guess hear as the wound sort of looks like it?, but I guess you whould probably see the nasty maggots...Is there any way you could peel back a part of the scab to see?

7. SweetandSavory

SweetandSavory Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2015
    Sadly I agree. It looks like Mareks. This is 1 of the ways it presents in my chickens. Typically towards the end. We let them go as long as they are able but once they stop eating and really keep to themselves we euthanize. I hate to see them hurting. I have 1 right now that is approx 14 months that is starting to get the tumors. She never showed any signs till now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by