1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Graphic Photos! Someone Please Help! Predator Problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by augiedranch, Mar 9, 2015.

1. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The picture with the feathers and feeder is not a coop, it's just a shelter for the deed and a place for the guineas to go and eat, I needed that area to keep the sheep from getting into the feed. Nobody in the coops were touched. Just guineas in the tree

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  2. CozyFanatic

CozyFanatic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2015
    East Tennessee
    This looks like what a hawk did to several of my hens last summer. Looks so much like how they would leave them. My sister said the hen would be too large to carry away so they ate the parts they wanted and left the rest.

3. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    This happened at night. . Even if it was an owl at night, am owl wouldn't try to drag it through a fence. ..

4. CozyFanatic

Mar 7, 2015
    East Tennessee
    Ohhhh, didn't see that part! That must be an opossum or raccoon! Maybe it was small enough to get inside the fence, but couldn't pull the chicken out with it! It's heartbreaking, though!

I once caught a skunk....ewwwww, right?....in a humane trap....if you could get one of those it might work.

5. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    [​IMG]

More feathers that were found a good distance away

6. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas

7. CozyFanatic

Mar 7, 2015
    East Tennessee
    Looks like from the feathers and no chicken inside the pen that this could be something like an owl though. Shouldn't have been a hawk at night....but whatever it was it had to have some way to get the chicken outside the fence.
    What the chicken from the feathers small enough to pull through the fence wire?
    And if it got a guinea in a tree that must have been an owl, huh?
    So maddening to lose them like this!

8. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I would think raccoon. I don't think you have fishers in TX?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by