Graphic Pics Alert!!!

HennyPennies2007

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 26, 2008
GRAPHIC PIC ALERT

Ok..On Friday I wormed everybody with Eprinex pour on... thinking that was the last thing I could try for my skinny, skanky, snarky hens. Today I go in to clean and this is what I find.....

6008_late_summer_09_009.jpg

6008_late_summer_09_011.jpg

6008_late_summer_09_010.jpg

The worms were dead. What I need to know is
1. What kind of worms are they? Where did they come from?
2. Is the Eprinex going to be enough to kill them?
3. Is that copious bleeding normal...will it resolve after the infestation has cleared?
4. Could that be what's wearing them down?

Thanks for any help.....

Wow. Those worms look like they did some damage. I am interested in hearing what others say. Good job catching the worm problem!

oh my word! I would have been so frightened! I saw a little blood in my girls pooh today. Im so hoping it was from trying to lay an egg! All my girls have always been healthy-I better buy some de-wormer before I go home!

These are young.. about 24 weeks. They are up and cruising around like normal Seem to be OK..... Got my Eprinex at Atwoods... I knew they had something becasue they are orps...but very thin...Mine are in an enclosed run. I can't free range because ofmy neighbors dog.

I know that some blood in the poop is npormal at times, but these girls were so spare. I knew something was off...They have been really sickly. This morning I find all this blood and worms & it's been a week since I wormed!!

Last edited:
They look like round worms. That would explain weight loss. Not sure if you need to repeat this in a couple of weeks, see what the bottle says. I don't know about that medication. I hope now they will start to put on weight. Make sure they are getting a good feed and offer them some healthy treats like yogurt, veggies, etc. If they pass large amounts of worms and blood that means they had a pretty bad case of roundworms. I hope they will be ok now.

Quote:
Like I said last night I saw 2 drops of blood on top of my nesting box? then some in the poop-good grief-I have never wormed my girls and I have orps-but they all seem fine it would never hurt to de-worm anyway--Im putting that on my list for this weekend! roundworms huh? bleah..good luck

Poor babies. Do not forget to worm them a second time...10 days after the first worming. The first worming kills the adults and the second worming gets the new young ones and anything remaining. I use the eprinex pour-on as well. Hopefully the worms have not caused permanent damage.

Get some good probiotics to give them after the second worming. You will want to re-balance their systems after the worming. They should perk up after the 2 wormings and some good healthy probiotics.

Last edited:
Those are round worms. They look like they are full reproduction age, so expect your hens to continue to pass smaller ones for a few days yet.

Its normal for the wormer to cause the chickens to pass the worms, and the blood is also normal. Being that these worms are so advanced in their cycle there will likely have been smaller ones, eggs and such also hang'n out in the chickens small intestines. It causes bleeding along the intestinal wall, when the worms are dislodged there is fresh red blood that is passed. This should stop, and not continue or grow worse with time.

You're going to have to treat their environment. Wormers on the market today for chickens do not treat the juvenile and egg/larval state of roundworms- these are often passed in the droppings. Cleaners also dont kill them.

Clear out all the bedding, try some DE mixed into the soil in their run, and keep things clean clean clean. You can help detour their growth in your yard if your chickens free range by cutting the grass and vegetation quite low. Parasite eggs are not able to withstand UV rays with much tolerance.

Follow the directions on your wormer and repeat the dosage within the allotted time to ensure a reinfestation doesnt happen due to the eggs in their digestive system.

You can also give them some DE in their feed for a short while to help clean them out.

http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disparas.htm

Back
Top Bottom