Graphic Pics Inside...It's Back!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Teresaann24, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    The first of spring something was killing my free range chickens at night. I started making sure everyone was locked up at night and it never came back. Its been 8 months and have lost no chickens. Lastnight something killed three of my chickens a young but big showgirl roo a white silkie pullet and my older showgirl roo. I only found 1 whole body and it looked as if he had a heart attack the other I only found some of its body and feet and one is missing but LOTS of feathers.

We set up a trap last year when this started and never caught anything.

Some clues:
    Comes at night
    Plucks feathers
    Before have never found a body only a pile of feathers.

Here are some pics I took the picks are of all the feathers plucked other pictures are of one of the half eaten chickens only legs left and my other roo who has no injuries he is just dead.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HELP ME WHAT IS IT KILLING THEM?

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Owl? They would pluck the feathers...

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Look like an owl to me.

4. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Quote:Did the guilty party go thru the chicken wire?

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

You need stronger wire. Chicken wire won't keep predators out. They really shouldn't sell that stuff as "for chickens" because it causes too much heartache

6. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    No it didn't go through the wire there is a door on the side I leave it open for them to go in or out as they please I always shut the door before dark last night I didn't it went through the door to get them.

7. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I am going to go against the other opinions and say it was a coon. I would set out a live trap and use one of the dead birds as bait.

Good luck to you. What ever it was, I hope you can put an end to it taking your birds.

8. chicken wild

chicken wild Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Franklin Ga
    racoon

9. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Cyotie? But they probsbly wouldn't go near the pen if it was CLOSE to your house.. they go by mine..

10. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    whatever the sucker is came back and got the dead roo that was untouched. I did not catch eye of it and it was daylight right before dark when it took the dead roo.

Everyone is locked up tight tomorrow I plan on setting a trap tomorrow night any suggestions for bait?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by