GRAPHIC PICS - Partially torn off wing now bubbling and has maggots.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jssbcause, Jun 9, 2011.

1. jssbcause

jssbcause New Egg

Nov 29, 2010
    okay, i need advice.

i want to know what i can do for my chicken. pain meds. wound care. etc... I am going to do all i can but i am not against putting him down if it is best. Are the maggots helping or hurting? I want to thank you in advance for your ideas and experience.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Easter Egger Rooster (i think), 6 months, 2 lbs
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. he is acting mellow but otherwise showing no distress.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 1 week i think. i just got home from vacation. i checked on him today and saw the wound.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. yes, dog bit wing and severed the end of wing from the joint. He is hot, has bubbling (like boiling) at the exposed end and there are maggots as well.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. i believe my 8 mo puppy bit him
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. yes, eating and drinking normally.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. no blood, maybe a bit runny, but we put him in the brooder pen with food and he is normally free range.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? separated him from the others, provided crumbles for food, and water. Nothing else yet.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I intend to treat at home. no vet.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. yes, i have pics below. He was very patient with me. Considering his injury.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Brooding room for now. Pine bedding.

the end of the wing. The white between the black end is a maggot.
    [​IMG]

the part that came off
    [​IMG]

my patient Rooster
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chickenberry

Chickenberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh no! He's a beauty! I hope that you can find someone to help you! Sorry, I'm just a newbie.

3. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I can't help a whole lot but it needs to be cleaned and the maggots need to be removed ASAP. Put neosporin on the wound and keep him separated from the rest of the flock. Just make sure he continues to eat and drink normally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by