**GRAPHIC pictures!!** Brown hen can now run, flap, and fly freely

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silkiechicken, Nov 28, 2008.

1. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

So today was the day I decided to put brown hen down. She'd been an internal layer for more than a year. As a golden sexlink egg laying machine, she popped out her first eggs at about 16 weeks old. Too young for her own good as she started having problems at about a year old, and stopped comletely at 18 months or so. Kept her around since she still hobbled over for food and showed enthuiasm for life despite the growing mass inside.

Summer is well over now and decided she didn't need to suffer though a cold damp winter. The mild summer days of lounging on bales of straw in the sun were gone.

And this is what I found. Pretty common for "old" production birds. She would have been 4 years old in the spring.

Skinned:
    [​IMG]

Opened with ovaries exposed:
    [​IMG]

One of the 4 masses opened:
    [​IMG]

Really, I should have culled her about a year ago when the problems showed up so she didn't have to suffer with the internal masses pressing on her insides. Liver, heart, gizzard was all healthy in color. Intestines were compacted under the weight of the masses.

2. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Lol yes the pictures are graphic but I still feel sorry for the poor bird.
    On another note, I have a quick question for you. Which types of females are used with the red sex links? And how do you sex them?

3. silkiechicken

I want to say that the red sexlinks use a RIR female and a RIW male. But I think there are a few other combos that work too. Something to deal with the silver gene in the boys? As for sexing them, the girls are a darker color than the boys at hatch.

4. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    cool i was thinking that i could use my white leghorn and try a few but i wanted to know which was better the red or black sex linked chickens.

5. silkiechicken

The commercial sexlinks, like commercial meat cornish x's have parent strains already bred to being strong layers, and produce the offspring that they can sex 100% so people don't have to risk the 10% roo's. So that said, every source might have their own mix and own lines, so a sexlink from place a might not be the same as sexlink from b, no matter the color really.

6. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I gotcha. i was looking to breed some just to compare egg laying with say my white leghorns to see who laid the better eggs.

7. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Poor hen.... [​IMG]

8. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    awww, poor hen... sorry for your loss [​IMG]

It was for the best but always a sad day !!

RIP brown hen !!

9. silkiechicken

She was such a nice and gentle hen all along. Had she just been one of the layers, she'd have gone a long time ago. But her nice demeanor and calm behavor granted her time, but perhaps not for the best to have developed such large masses in her ovaries. She was one of the untouchables.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by