grass and weed treatments and chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Dobela, May 2, 2011.

1. Dobela

Dobela Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    Arkansas
    We are considering having our new lawn treated with fertilizers and weed control professionally. If we do this, the first treatment will be next week. We don't have the run finished yet and I am concerned about how the treated grass will effect the chickens. If the area where the run will be is treated, could it harm the birds? Or, should I leave that area untreated?

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I don't suppose there's any way of talking you into just NOT doing the chemlawn thing at all? It serves no earthly purpose, the world was not MEANT to look like a golf course, and if you mow with a mulching blade rather than removing the clippings you will not need to fertilize much if at all.

When/if you DO fertilize, or if you have the herbicide thing done anyhow, keep the chickens off the lawn completely til you have had several good hard soaking rains; and make sure none of that, especially granulated products, gets into the chicken run AT ALL.

Good luck, have fun, learn to embrace biodiversity (which among other things keeps your lawn from TOTALLY browning out some times of year [​IMG]),

Pat

3. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:I agree with Pat x2! But we have a well for our drinking water, so the idea of adding chemicals to the lawn above the well just makes me shudder...

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  4. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I don't treat any of our grass I pick the weeds and feed them to the chickens. I also give the chickens the grass clippings from the front yard. Since I also compost grass clippings I don't want any chemicals on the grass and such. I would worry that my chickens would eat the grass or weed with the chemicals and get sick and die.

5. Dobela

Dobela Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    Arkansas
    We have never treated a lawn before so it is all new to us. However, the previous owners have in place lots of lively sod that we really would like to keep. We just moved in last October. The sod does not quite go to the coop/run area in the back. It does cover the front and side yards though. While I appreciate the biodiversity of our world, and will leave the back acreages untouched, I was hoping to be able to keep this small area.

6. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    We treat our front yard with fertilizer, ant poison etc. We live in a neighborhood and NEED our grass looking good. (even though right now it looks like crap bc most of if was killed during our hard winter freeze) But our backyard, where we have the chickens, will remain a poison/chemical free zone. The whole point of having our chickens is to keep them healthy and in return they give us fresh eggs. I would not want to eat any eggs that had traces of fertilizer in them or other things that weren't natural. Plus we have a vegetable garden that I'm trying to keep organic and a rabbit that likes to play in the backyard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by