Grass Clippings a no no??!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Nupine, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    Don't know where to put this, but is grass clippings, from a lawn mower, ok to give to goats and chickens to eat or as a bedding?? I think I have heard it is bad, but my mom called me a dumb *** when I said the animals couldn't have it. Help please!!

2. hazelton farms

hazelton farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    NC
    Well, I sure hope it's not a no-no! We give it to ours!! Our chickens especially love the fresh grass clippings and we've been doing that with them for years, but have only given it to the cows and goats twice this year so far.

Stacy

3. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    I think it is fine. We have always given our chickens and horses the fresh cuttings after mowing. The only thing we have always been extremely careful of is, if we had fertilized the grass. In that case, we would wait a couple of weeks before feeding it to the animals. My chickens love it! They scratch and pick at it and make lots of happy noises.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

After I mow my lawn, I rake up all the grass clippings, and give it to my geese, chickens, and ducks.
    They LOVE It. When they see me comming with the bucket, they go crazy. I must get like 4 huge buckets of grass.

5. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I think it's ok as long as it is fresh. I think the problem is if it sits there and gets mold on it is why they don't suggest it.

6. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    Thanks so much everyone!!

7. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Yep - if it is extremely freshly cut it is OK, as long as there were no fertilizers, insecticides, chemicals etc put on the grass.

If it sits even over night, the grass starts to ferment and mold if it is piled up so I wouldnt do it after that.

I do let my girls out after I'm done mowing and they love to clean up the clippings!

8. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, don't let it sit around and ferment.

It's not supposed to be good for horses as it can create impaction colic, though I know people who have fed their horses grass clippings for years (like my dad did when I was a kid).

9. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Another question---How long are your clippings?? I read that you should not give them long clippings--these people were cutting them with scissors.. 2" too long??

10. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    My chickens love it, and they eat long grass all the time, no problems. It's natural for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by