Grass clippings for treats

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bow-chicka-bow-bow, Aug 11, 2011.

1. bow-chicka-bow-bow

bow-chicka-bow-bow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Fuquay-Varina, NC
    The past few days, my 8 ladies have been greeting me at the door to the run and wanting to peck at the ground outside the run. They have removed all signs of grass in the run and I think they just want something new to eat. Today, my husband was cutting the grass and put some of the clippings in with the ladies. They went crazy for it.[​IMG] However, I have also heard that too much can cause it to get stuck in their crop and cause problems. I did throw some grit in with it just to be on the safe side.

Does anyone else give grass clippings and do you think it is safe? I made sure the clippings were relatively small and even took some out because he dumped a whole pile in the run. What are your thoughts or advice?

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    They're fine. I provide grit free choice. Make sure to not give clippings if your lawn is treated with ANY chemicals.

3. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    I do it all the time and have never had a problem. free range chickens eat grass all day and it would be good for your chickens to too. (in my opinion)

4. adgcountrygirl

adgcountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I did let mine have grass clippings, before all the grass died. Today it is less that 100 degrees. It had been running 108 in the shade or more every day for several weeks!! I also let mine have fresh spinach, frozen blackberries, ect. Next summer they should be able to reach fresh blackberries on their own. I planted them near the fence and I'm sure they will be able to reach some of them.

5. reksat

reksat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    I toss in my cut grass clippings to my RIR but they are not that crazy about it. Must be bad tasting grass right? They scratch around in it a little but thats about all.

6. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    My get them every Sat. (Mowing day) and all week long when ever there out free rangeing. LOL

7. ChickenSahib

ChickenSahib Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Hayward
    Just make sure it's short enough.

8. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:Mine just scratch around and look for bugs when the grass clippings is dry when I put them in, it gives them something to do with there time and they seem very happy doing it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by