Grass clippins in my Hen House?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NC-Chickoholic, Apr 17, 2009.

1. NC-Chickoholic

NC-Chickoholic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    I was just wondering if anyone does this...and what are the pros and cons of it that you have discovered.... Thx so much.....I am new in this chicken addiction and was wondring if it could save me a little money Thx Alot!

2. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    My chickens love it when I throw grass in their run. They go crazy over it,, plus its good for them.

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I wouldn't use them in my coop, because they tend to smell in a very short amount of time. I believe I've seen where people have used them though. The chickens also enjoy eating them.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I use grass clippings in the run with out problems. In the fall leaves. I've never bought anything for the run. In the coop I use shredded newspaper.

Imp

5. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I used dried grass clippings in the nesting boxes. Ill throw a couple hand fulls of fresh grass clippings in the coop for them to snack on. Its funny when the lawn mower sprays the side of the coop. They go nuts over it!

6. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Some chickens will eat too much of the cut grass at once and get impacted crops.

If they are free-ranging, they can only tear off small pieces of grass, but if the cut grass is in long pieces they can swallow it whole and it can ball up.

Some chicken owners spread the cut grass around in the yard until it dries then throw it down instead of pine shavings.

7. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I read on another thread that you really have to be careful in doing this. When chickens eat grass, they bite off little tiny pieces of grass and is easily digested. Cut grass is longer, therefore can lodge in their crop and cause impacted crop. Make sure they have grit, in order to help in the digestion.

8. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I use grass clippings as bedding spring, summer and fall. I make sure the clippings dry for 2 good days in the sun before I put any in the coop. My chickens have about an acre of grass they free range on so they are never in short supply of grass. So the grass bedding isn't a treat for them. I could see if someones chickens have a dirt run with no grass where they might get overexcited about the grass bedding and eat too much. Mine leave the stuff alone.

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    mine get clippings at least once a week. Haven't had any impacted crops... yet.

10. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    My chickens love to eat grass clipping and I Will put them in the run for them to eat and pick at but I wouldn't use them for bedding the coop. Grass can get matted up when wet, and become smelly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by