Grass hay or Alfalfa??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tasymo, Aug 31, 2009.

1. tasymo

tasymo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Mulliken
    My six Girls are used to free ranging in our yard at least a couple of hours a day. They have a wide variety of foliage to pick from- various flowers and herbs, bushes and plenty of tall grass and weeds and of course the lawn. I want to supplement thier food in the Winter months so they'll still get greens of some sort. I'm planning to buy a few bales of hay, but am unsure what is better. Alfalfa is a little more expensive, so you would think it would be best, but mixed grass hay would seem to give them more variety. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:I buy the bagged alfalfa from Tractor Supply, throw a few cubes in warm water to soften it up. A few cubes makes quite a bit of grass once moistened. They pack those cubes pretty tight. It should last a while.

3. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Alfalfa is higher in protein than grass, and the leaves are easier to digest. Grass might cause a problem with impaction. I would go with the alfalfa if they were mine. In fact, I feed mine alfalfa that we raise for our cows. They don't eat the stems much, but love to scratch around in them and find leaves and any bugs that might have accidentally been baled with the hay.

4. tasymo

tasymo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Mulliken
    Thanks for the feedback! Looks like I'll be getting alfalfa hay.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I buy bales of alfalfa. When the birds are done with it all of the leaves are gone and only the stem are left.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by