Grass in the run

Aug 5, 2021
Copperas Cove, TX
Hi!
I read some posts where people put stuff on the ground in their runs. My question is should I do that if there is grass in the run? My girls have not eaten all the grass...yet. We are in TX and the weather is random. Normally we get rain in the summer/fall transition and in the winter. Should I wait until they eat all the grass to put down pine shavings?

Thanks!

I would wait til they destroy it all.

Adding shavings on top of grass can trap moisture (in this case the moisture already in the grass) and rot/mold.

Instead of shavings look for aged wood chips. It's chunkier and won't pack down like shavings can.
That is what I thought. Thank you! Good to know about the wood chips. What kind are best?

I would leave the grass for them. Depending on the size of your run and number of chickens it may not last long. I have 6 hens in a 4x12ft run and the grass disapears in the first week or two... thought about making a small version of this to give them something to eat but also keep them from destroying it..
1628793557994.png

This video explains it well.
Basically it's chipped wood from smaller branches and leaves.
A source would likely be calling tree service companies in your area and asking where they he wood chips end up. You are not looking for fresh chip but need aged chip.

This video explains it well.
Basically it's chipped wood from smaller branches and leaves.
A source would likely be calling tree service companies in your area and asking where they he wood chips end up. You are not looking for fresh chip but need aged chip.

Yes that's a good idea.
I asked a local tree surgeon to drop off some and I got a whole van full for free! I used it in the flower beds around the garden where I was having trouble controling the weeks. It's been about 2 years now and the weeds still haven't returned.

Once trodden in a bit it forms a nice ground cover. Perfect for the hens. If you have enough if it, they can still scratch around and not completely spread it around creating bare patches
The chip I used was 2 days old but to be honest if I had decided to pay for some, I would've got aged stuff.

I would leave the grass for them. Depending on the size of your run and number of chickens it may not last long. I have 6 hens in a 4x12ft run and the grass disapears in the first week or two... thought about making a small version of this to give them something to eat but also keep them from destroying it.. View attachment 2795272
That is a pretty cool idea. I have 4 chickens with an 8x8 run.

Hi!
I read some posts where people put stuff on the ground in their runs. My question is should I do that if there is grass in the run? My girls have not eaten all the grass...yet. We are in TX and the weather is random. Normally we get rain in the summer/fall transition and in the winter. Should I wait until they eat all the grass to put down pine shavings?

Thanks!
Ahh..the good old days of thinking I could grow grass and chicken forage in the run..yep, they’ll destroy it all. Use a combination of heavy, chunky chips and the more mulched up bark until you like the consistency..the fine stuf goes away pretty quickly, but they do love to scratch up a new bag or rather pile of it when you put it in there..

Yes that's a good idea.
I asked a local tree surgeon to drop off some and I got a whole van full for free! I used it in the flower beds around the garden where I was having trouble controling the weeks. It's been about 2 years now and the weeds still haven't returned.

Once trodden in a bit it forms a nice ground cover. Perfect for the hens. If you have enough if it, they can still scratch around and not completely spread it around creating bare patches
The chip I used was 2 days old but to be honest if I had decided to pay for some, I would've got aged stuff.
Okay so basically we are talking about mulch. I wasn't sure if there was a certain type of wood that was better than others or that I should stay away from. Do you ever replace it? I would assume as some point you would need fresh wood chips.
Thanks so much for all this great info!

Okay so basically we are talking about mulch. I wasn't sure if there was a certain type of wood that was better than others or that I should stay away from. Do you ever replace it? I would assume as some point you would need fresh wood chips.
Thanks so much for all this great info!
I just keep adding. Cedar is allegedly not good for chicks respiratory systems, adults, well, I think ppl steer clear of cedar, but I’ve also seen some posts about some use chunks for adults in the open air, and maybe it’s not as evil as it’s supposed to be, but, regular pine mulch is the more safe, accepted thing ppl use..I’d certainly stick to pine rather than the cedar until more definitive answers come along..when I start seeing more dirt than mulch, I just add more mulch..

Back
Top Bottom