Grass nearly all gone, now what?

My Three Chicks

Crowing
May 3, 2021
Seattle, WA
I have had 4 girls since April 2021. I love them dearly. They have a 9'x24' attached run (which has mulch flooring) but spend at least half the day in my suburban backyard. I used to have lush grass but now it's nearly destroyed from their pecking/eating and scratching! I'd love to be able to grow more grass/ground cover so they can have that entertainment and they just love to eat it too (I also grow fodder for them in addition to layer feed). My grass area is only about 12'x25'.

Any suggestions?

Do I maybe fence off half to regrow grass then give them that half and regrow the other? Or is it a losing cause.
20220305_173633.jpg

Last edited:
What kind of grass do you seed and how long does it take grow?
3 weeks I would say..month at the longest..I wait till mine is very long but I have a larger area to keep them in. I've used Kentucky blue and smaller misc bags. Look for something that says high traffic, etc. I've used a few types. Make sure to water and put a thin layer of straw on top or wild birds will eat it. I want to plant alfalfa grass my next go. I've never done that. Alfalfa grass is high in nutrients but it isn't cheap.

Its a lost cause. But if you can do rotational grazing, you can create the illusion of treading water.

Granted, I have more birds, but they've destroyed their "run" (which is like 27 x 60) and all they do is eat there sometimes, and get their water. The rest of the time they are in the pasture (which they have also hurt). Its over an acre.

3 weeks I would say..month at the longest..I wait till mine is very long but I have a larger area to keep them in. I've used Kentucky blue and smaller misc bags. Look for something that says high traffic, etc. I've used a few types. Make sure to water and put a thin layer of straw on top or wild birds will eat it. I want to plant alfalfa grass my next go. I've never done that. Alfalfa grass is high in nutrients but it isn't cheap.
Got it. I'll definitely give it a try! Can i ask what kind of fencing you use to keep them out?

Got it. I'll definitely give it a try! Can i ask what kind of fencing you use to keep them out?
One area is metal fencing. However cheap option; orange construction fencing with plastic fence posts, zip ties and metal garden stakes (there small metal u shaped stakes in the garden section at Walmart) this stuff is a mess but it's just an idea. I use it to keep them out of my veggies.
IMG_20220302_153911_292.jpg

Back
Top Bottom