Grass seed

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by annie3001, Apr 29, 2011.

1. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    I can move this question, but going to ask here.

I would like to place some grass seed on my lawn. is their a safe grass seed around chickens? thanks in advance.

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    They will eat it the seed you will have to keep them put up till the grass takes. I just had to do this.

3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    yeah, thats what i am thinking too. my lawn has alot of bald spots. the grass used to be beautiful last year, and the year before that. but this year. awful.

4. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    if you reseed it and let them free range, they are just going to eat it all once it regrows. i don't think beautiful green lawn is compatable with chickens. unless they can't get to it.

5. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Quote:so so true so true. [​IMG]

6. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    neither is clean patio or poop-less shoes! eh, it all washes.

7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I reseeded parts of our back yard this spring, and here's what I did. After I put down the seed, I covered those areas up with white garden fabric and staked it down with landscaping staples. Then I watered those areas right through the fabric. After the seeds sprouted and grew an inch or so, I just removed the fabric.

Our flock doesn't free range without supervision, but I noticed they were scared of the white fabric and stayed well away from it.

When I put the flock out in their tractor, I notice they'll graze the grass down to about 3 inches tall (the same level I cut it when I mow it) in an afternoon. If I move the tractor daily, the grass survives.

8. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    good idear elmo.
    i am going to give this a try. theres still hope!!! i wouldnt care so much, but that side of the yard faces the street. i just want it to look somewhat nice. [​IMG]
    i know i can find green mesh soft like fencing, wonder if that will work too. i have never seen it in white.

9. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I have one of those hand held tillers, it's in a circle, you push it in the ground, turn it, and it splits/chops the soil. Perfect size for most bare spots in the yard. I scatter in a healthy serving of seed, and then rake it over a little to settle the seed. It's been working! By "hiding" the seed into the turned up soil, the chickens pretty well avoid it when they're out, as do the wild birds, and squirrels.

The chickens get supervised free range, and we split the dogs off the back area while grass is growing, then we'll rotate the dogs and get the front by the back of the house reseeded. With all the rain at the end of winter, our yard turned into a mud pit! It's going to take something like 3 months to get it back into shape with all the rotating for the animals. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by