Grass seed?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicabee19, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I have some bags of grass seed. Can chickens eat it?

2. Nemo

Nemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    I prob'ly wouldn't... It might be inoculated or something.

3. Chicabee19

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    oh yeah... didn't think about that.

thanks!

[​IMG]

4. orionburn

orionburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    I had a question that goes along with this topic. I was hoping to replant some grass in a few bare spots back by our animals. Is there a safe way to do it? Or would doing that be minimal enough that it wouldn't cause any harm to our chickens (compared to actually feeding the seed to them)?

5. Chicabee19

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I was thinking the same thing - try to plant the seed in the run and let it grow up for them to munch on. Probably would have to section off the run until it sprouts.

6. orionburn

orionburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Our orpington had an urge to dig last night and ripped out a big ol' hole in the ground so that's why I was asking. Usually the girls go to the same spot to give themselves a dust bath, but last night she must've just had the itch to dig. Hopefully she got it out of her system. If not I'll probably be able to catch a glimpse of the Olympics live in our backyard if she finished digging all the way to China....

7. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I wouldn't put commercial grass seed where chickens could get at it. Most of it has been treat with fungicides and insecticides, and is definitely not food grade. I don't know what it would do to your chickens, but I don't think it would be worth risking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by