Grassboxes for runs?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chawk, Jun 19, 2011.

1. chawk

chawk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Southern Maryland
    I was reading through some posts with pics of raised beds with grass growing in them for the run. I'm ready to build two. My plan is to make them not too high. Put wire on top so the girls don't turn them into mud beds. but grass? Anyone do this? If so what kind of grass seed did you use? Anysuggestions would be great. I'm already growing sunflowers outside of the run for them... multiple purpose- sunshade for summer as they grow and snacks for winter. But the grass is already pretty much gone in the run and I'm not comfy letting them free range where we are in the woods...

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    Quote:I've not done this, but have you thought about putting clover in the boxes?

3. chawk

chawk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:I've not done this, but have you thought about putting clover in the boxes?

I was thinking of this and its on my list.. I geuss you'd buy it in the grass seed section.. I've only bought grass seeds once when DH killed a big patch of grass.. I just don't know alot about it. I saw pics of these here on the forum and thought it was a great idea since free ranging is a dangerous option here with everything from Racoons to Possum to Foxes to Copperheads in my backyard..

4. Vtchicks

Vtchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Rutland, VT
    deer plot seeds often contain clover and chicory, these would work good for a raised bed.

5. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    TSC sells clover blend for deer. I used a window box and covered in chicken wire across the top, planted lettuce and grass. They love it, but with the 7 ladies, they are done in about 20 minutes! LOL Thought it might last longer ......it sure didn't. Let me upload my pics, and I will post what I did.

6. savingpurple

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    okay..here is the grass already well grown...grass is in the background, and the lettuce is the other.

[​IMG]

After 20 minutes...seriously. They acted as if they had never had it before..LOL

[​IMG]

The lettuce farther along....

[​IMG]

The lettuce done...this took them longer, by about 10 minutes:) LOL

[​IMG]

It was fun to have my grandson help plant "chicken food" and then let him watch it grow, and be eaten. He loved it, so did the chickens, and myself.

TSC has raised bed sets on clearance right now for 20 bucks. Might buy one as we are already talking about enlarging the outdoor run, and would love to plant them a small garden to munch on.

7. chawk

chawk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Southern Maryland
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh Window boxes!! What a great idea!! Then you could take them out and replant or regrow... variety... And I'll get some of the clover blend..Thanks guys! I just want them to have more than just feed. DH was going to help me build a chicken tractor for the yard but he started a new job so thats on hold for now. This is my plan B[​IMG] Great pics and advice y'all![​IMG]

8. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Did you just bend the chicken wire around the window boxes, or is it attached somehow?

9. savingpurple

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Just bent it over and tucked it up under the edge. they were standing on it, and scratching, so it held up pretty good. I am letting it grow back, and put it in again when it gets too long, but it has worked very well for me.

10. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    I flip garden nursery flats upside down and throw a couple of tent stakes to hold them down, then grow grass up through. Works great. I have two going in my yard right now.

Forgot to take a picture once the grass really got growing, this is when it's just sprouting. They eat it up through the top.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by