Grasses ducks will love!?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hennyhandler, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I was wondering what kind of grasses I can grow that my ducks will like to munch on. I was thinking mustard and dandelion but what other kinds will attract them and they will like? If there is any that you know for certain that are no-no's whether thats because they are poisonous to the birds or whatnot I would love to know that too.

If you have any suggestions for chickens I would appreciate that as well. Thanks for all the help.

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Mine will munch on just about any grass. It doesn't matter what sprouts up in there pen, it's gone within a few hours

3. kylee2katie

kylee2katie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Stuttgart, Arkansas
    Quote:congrats on the license - did you win it?

4. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    No, It was a birthday present for my 16th birthday. I'm just overly excited cus...I'll never have to buy a license in my life! [​IMG] saves me a chunk of money [​IMG]

I'll probably change my signature once hunting season starts

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Mine also enjoy most anything green. They really like buckwheat sprouts and young wheat, chickweed, dandelion, crabgrass (yay!), clover, lambs' quarters.

6. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    Ducks will at least try everything green that they can reach. They took care of our weed/dandelion problem really quickly.

They will also eat the grass seeds. It is a bit of a challenge to get grass to grow if you let ducks free range on it. Once you water the seeds it becomes irresistible to ducks so I wouldn't use any miraclegrow type mixes. We paid extra for the organic stuff.

I do know that they managed to gobble up all of my rosemary in about a half an hour. Unfortunately, it was before they were laying eggs so I don't know if it would make for extra tasty omelets. They were so proud they found their own treats!

7. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Do pekins eat grass? Mine doesn't touch any, and will only nibble on some lettuce.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by