Grasshopper plague

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Becaco, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Becaco

Becaco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    My chickens free range. Free range around the house.

Out in my field where the fruit trees are planted, actually anywhere out there, is a bountiful feast of grasshoppers.

Do my chickens leave the house area.... nooooo.

My question, is there a trap of some kind for catching grasshoppers? Would love to catch them and feed them to the chickens.

I do have a couple of chicken cages that will hold 3-4 chickens to put down there. I just remembered we had them this morning, when DH comes home I'll get him to help move them.

Still would like info on grasshopper traps, IF there is such a thing.

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I found that if I mowed a path to the "treats" the chickens will go get them [​IMG] Don't know of any "traps".

3. VaM715

VaM715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Fincastle, VA
    Buy any fine mesh net, preferrably not nylon, and make you a piece with a long handle, like a flag, and sweep it over the grass in the early morning. The hoppers will stick to the mesh and then you can feed them to the girls. I catch them for fish bait all the time this way. Really easy.

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    [​IMG]

5. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Quote:This works GREAT for me too. Mowed yesterday and the chickens think it was just for THEM to get easy access to their favorite treats. BUGS! They were so full of bugs when I put them away for the night they weren't in the least bit intersted in scratch.

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:This works GREAT for me too. Mowed yesterday and the chickens think it was just for THEM to get easy access to their favorite treats. BUGS! They were so full of bugs when I put them away for the night they weren't in the least bit intersted in scratch.

Spoiled brats! [​IMG]

Same here when it snows, we have to shovel path ways for the chickens [​IMG]

7. Becaco

Becaco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    VaM, thanks, I'll see what I can come up with.

The mowing thing works great.... around the house area. A few chickens will go out to the horse pen. But they just won't go way out in the field.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by