Grateful Already and Thank you....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GratefulDucks, May 2, 2017.

1. GratefulDucks

GratefulDucks New Egg

May 2, 2017
    Saturday morning I awoke to one of my 5 month old Khaki Campbells unable to stand on what appeared legs of rubber.... The only duck vet in my area was not available until Monday late afternoon. If it weren't for the posts on this forum, my little Begonia would likely no longer be with us.

I purchased 3 Khaki Campbells from a local hatchery at the very beginning of December. On December 4th my truck was totaled. Amidst the chaos of new babies, crazy rainstorms in Cali, and a loss of vehicle, I remained committed to these '4' ducks. When I went to pick up my 3 ducklings, they said "oh, we gave you an extra and if you don't take her we will have to 'destroy' her". Needless to say I went home with 4 ducklings...

I did my research, and I felt I was giving them all of what they needed. Everybody seemed to make it along fine. I paid attention to protein content etc... Put Niacin in the water and so on..Brewers yeast, grit; etc. Since 4 months of age they free-range mostly all day in a small pasture with my sheep. They're happy girls. Just starting to lay the most beautiful and organic eggs. I backed off on the Niacin; BIG mistake..

I noticed a week ago, that when I was shooing everyone into the coop from their moonlit float in the pool, that one of the girls slipped and it's wing was strangely outstretched and motionless. I picked her up and put her in the house with the rest. Fast forward........ it was the first sign of distress.

My only hope was to try Niacin supplements and Poly-Vi-Sol as suggested by the forum members. There was enough information and experience here to hope that maybe I could help her. I coated small amounts of meal worms with brewers yeast; opened a capsule of niacin and sprinkled a little on the worms ... I let her sleep with her sisters the first night and found her nearly on deaths door the next morning. I brought her in the next 2 nights where she slept on a towel on my bed (yes, my bed)...so I could give her water every couple of hours and she needn't worry that Sugar, Magnolia and Scarlet were going to trample over her..

After intensive care and nursing... she has made an astonishing recovery. This morning she ran out of the coop; keeping up with the others. I discovered that she is not a big 'social' eater either by choice or by pecking order. So she must not have been getting much in the way of her layer feed. I also bought oyster shell; some feed info said to supplement, and others said no... When she was offered oyster shell, she ate it like she was deprived. It was a tough learning curve in duck raising. It was a miracle. And I am soooo grateful for this forum, as without it, she would have suffered and probably not survived. Now, I just need to do a little more research on how to maintain the supplementation without overdoing it. The baby vitamins were great; but I will look for an organic liquid supplement.

And the rest of the girls are also quite happy to receive the benefits of the extra attention The lead duck, Scarlet, is most curious as to why Begonia gets extra time in the coop with her private meals! She paces all around demanding some extra treats too. Thank you to this forum!!!!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. It seems like you've done a great job with your ducks! There's nothing like learning through experience, and with the support of all the amazing members here at BYC it sure makes things easier. Thanks for sharing your experience and please make yourself at home here with us.

Best wishes
    CT

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So glad to hear Begonia is doing well. I do so love a happy ending. [​IMG] Welcome to Backyard chickens. Hope you will enjoy it as much as we do. [​IMG]

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under GratefulDucks [​IMG] Welcome!

Oh, I too so love a happy ending and this definitely was one! [​IMG]

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your ducks, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by