Grateful we live in the good ol' USA

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mahonri, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Scary!...wait until someone over there gets infected..dosent know it...and then hops on a plane to the USA!....UGH!.....[​IMG]...[​IMG]

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Another scary part of that article is the reference to the small backyard farms being "harder to regulate" than the commercial poultry facilities. That's the kind of statement that causes the gen pop to say, "gee, that NAIS sounds like a good idea; that way we could keep track of the small backyard type chicken owners and prevent bird flu here"... not true on any point, but I'm sure it would give the NAIS more clout and influence to try to push this on poultry owners.

4. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    also...i know that people may not like what i have to say..but...[​IMG]...i REALLY feel strongly that...if another country has a contagious disease that can kill humans AND we have no cure/innoculation(that REALLY works...[​IMG]...) for it...we should immediately stop any and ALL flights/shipments from that said country into our country!!!...until it is deemed safe again from the CDC...because it WILL happen people...someone from there will get infected and they will get on a plane back to the USA..and then..forget it!...we will then have it here...[​IMG]...okay..done ranting now...[​IMG]..

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Please!!! you cannot be serious, the Chinese have been poisoning the world with their products for decades and we just keep saying send us more. I will say this the next big pandemic will come from China mark my words, forget about an asteroid hitting the earth, be afraid of the chinese products.
    these are not gloom and doom scare tactics just facts. pray for all of us.

6. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    yup!..China is one scary mother also!....[​IMG]....

7. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    also..*i'm on a roll tonight!...LOL..*...i find it funny..yet disturbing, that we spend billions on protecting our country from invasions/nukes/etc...BUT...hey!..lets let in all the worlds pathos/diseases/viruses...dirty diseased foods!!...yeah....somehow...it just dont add up to me somedays...[​IMG]....

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:I just wish more people would see that, or maybe they do but just don't care. Yea thats probably it, nobody cares it cost to much to care.

9. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    We care but with the gov. not taking any steps and everything we can buy being made in China these days what can an indevidual do. It makes me so angry when I hear of another plant closing and it being moved over seas. Small towns do not have the options of some stores that only carry american made products. Most people no longer have the money to drive and seek them out. Yes there is the internet. But are we sure or can we trust that things there are made here. Even the high end stores sell the china goods now.
    As far as the virus, Most of the cases have been in the large poultry farms where the chickens are crammed together in high density. one or two cases in the small flocks. I think if we keep our chicks away from wild birds they will be less likely to get the virus and have them checked often. Just my rant. jean

10. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Just cancelled my trip to china!!! (shiver)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by