Grave injury that has an amazing ending!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ahakooz, Nov 15, 2012.

1. ahakooz

ahakooz New Egg

Nov 2, 2012
    While re-doing my deck, one of my Black Marans caught her belly on a protruding nail. I was not there when it happened, but I came around the corner to find her hiding in my tomato cages I'd taken up for the winter, with all her intestines hanging out. I caught her before the other hens saw her and my mind started racing. She was my favorite hen! She lays HUGE chocolate brown eggs. I looked for my son so he could put an end to her suffering. He wasn't home. I couldn't do it myself. So I went into action. Took her into the kitchen and washed the intestines off with water as they were a little dirty. I made a mixture of antibiotic soap and water to rinse them. Then another rinse with just clean water. I then stuffed them back through the hole into her body cavity. I had to close the hole so I found some thread and a needle. I have a difficult time threading the needle, but she held still as if she knew I was helping her. She was upside down under my left arm while I took 15 minutes to thread. Then I got her on the table on a towel, I put in about 10 stitches. I was out of iodine and antibiotics so I put her in a box and headed to Tractor supply.
    After getting back I gave her some penicillin and sprayed her wound with iodine. Kept her warm in the box for a couple days. She was pooping normally, besides a bit of liquid but I was happy to see things working. I moved her to the garage alone so she could roost on some firewood. She started eating some yogurt and flax seed. Then a little scratch. I took her to the coop after a week and she really perked up to be with the other hens. I sprayed the wound twice a day and after 10 days took out the stitches. She lost some weight but was eating and acting fine! It's been a month now and yesterday she laid her first egg since the injury! So happy she survived! Thought I'd share my miracle hen! I love my black marans!

2 people like this.
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    This is a great story! Most importantly you did all the right things you needed to do, congratulations on a job well done! It's really nice to hear about good outcomes in this section of the BYC forum.

3. ahakooz

ahakooz New Egg

Nov 2, 2012
    Thanks! I surprised myself!

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Well done!

5. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    You did a superb job! Kudos to you for going that extra distance to helping your hen out. She is sure lucky to have such a great mom. :) :) :)

6. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Wow, amazing story! Great job.

7. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    All has been said that can be about your miracle girl... I am so very happy as to the outcome, you were brave and very quick thinking to do all that you did to save her life - does BYC offer awards to those that go the extra mile? You deserve one!!!!!!

Does she have a name ??????

If not she deserves a special name.......

Well done!!!

Suzie
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. ahakooz

ahakooz New Egg

Nov 2, 2012
    Thanks so much all of you! Her name is now Mira! For miracle girl. She's rewarding me with a large chocolate egg almost every day now. She comes running every morning I go out to the coop. She's the first one out ready for her breakfast. I think she is grateful!

9. bird sitter

bird sitter Chillin' With My Peeps

This almost brought me to tears! Congrats on your miracle! Keep us updated on how your happy hen does! And could you posts a pic for us of your miracle hen?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by