Gravel Base in Run?

EastJacket

Chirping
Jul 21, 2020
Massachusetts
Hi all,

We are constructing our run now and I had a quick question. We are doing a full hardware cloth bottom with a "sandbox" base and will be putting a few inches of construction sand in the box base, but I was wondering if it's better to put in gravel under the sand.

Does anyone have experience with both or a preference? If you used gravel, how many inches did you put in? And how many inches of sand over top?

Thanks! :)

We have done both. It can depend if your run is covered, and how you plan to manage the run.

Sand absorbs water, and water will run off gravel.

Sand can get hot, gravel will remain cooler generally.

Sand is hard for humans to walk through depending on depth, and it's near impossible to get everything out of it. You will need to sift sand.

Gravel will pack down, and can be raked to remove debris.

In my experience, yes it does work, BUT, it is a royal PITA !!!

I originally built my coop on gravel, (NEVER AGAIN !) and do the deep litter method, but cleaning out the area is difficult, and if you are planning to use the compost in the garden, it gets full of rocks that will need to be screened out before use.

As I said, removing soiled bedding, and any kind of poop removal is difficult, labor intense, and really not very effective.

A dirt floor, or ANY OTHER floor would be way more efficient. I wish I had never used the gravel, and just left the natural dirt floor.

YMMV !

Before you commit to it remember that gravel is forever. If you, or subsequent owner of the property, ever want to do anything else with that part of the yard you will ALWAYS have the pain of having to cope with the gravel.

Additionally, poop will wash down into the gravel and be impossible to remove -- stinking every time it gets wet so if you use gravel you will need to keep it absolutely dry always.

Personally, I prefer Deep Litter over any bedding that requires intensive scooping and management but sand is, at least, possible to get rid of if you ever change your mind. :)

Last edited:
I love this!

We are dealing with this on our country property. A VAST sea of Carolina bluestone crusher run surrounding all the buildings -- including a huge pad of gravel in what the previous owner, in his city-slicker ignorance, intended to be a horse pasture.

No amount of work with a rented Bobcat can get all the way down to the actual ground. *sigh*

We're hoping that when the house is being placed the heavier equipment will be able to man that pasture pad (which will be right off our back deck), can be mined for the house's gravel needs.

Thank you everyone for your input, you brought up points I hadn't thought of! We have decided to eliminate the wire floor "sandbox" and do an apron on the outside instead with just the grass/dirt that's already there in the run instead of sand (and will revisit footing if the dirt becomes problematic). We will be putting a roof on before the winter, but haven't decided on an opaque vs. transparent roof yet.

Thank you everyone for your input, you brought up points I hadn't thought of! We have decided to eliminate the wire floor "sandbox" and do an apron on the outside instead with just the grass/dirt that's already there in the run instead of sand (and will revisit footing if the dirt becomes problematic). We will be putting a roof on before the winter, but haven't decided on an opaque vs. transparent roof yet.

A clear roof can create a greenhouse effect that can get pretty uncomfortable even as far north as you are (I used to live in Monson 25 years ago and while I miss the fact that I used to think of 85 as a hot day instead of cool day I don't miss the winter). Maybe you can get specific feedback for your region on your state thread?

A clear roof can create a greenhouse effect that can get pretty uncomfortable even as far north as you are (I used to live in Monson 25 years ago and while I miss the fact that I used to think of 85 as a hot day instead of cool day I don't miss the winter). Maybe you can get specific feedback for your region on your state thread?

Thank you for the info! Another thing I didn't think of. My husband and I keep telling each other that we will need to build a new set up next year after making all these newbie builder mistakes 😆😅

I am in Massachusetts, we are putting hardware cloth on the roof for now until we decide on what roof material to use--and until this ridiculously hot weather goes away!! The chicks aren't going in it full time for another 4-ish weeks so we have some time to research more.

Back
Top Bottom