Gravel or sand?

alexis187

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2021
I'm working on designing my first serious chicken run and am wondering if folks had personal experiences with gravel and sand and the pros/cons between them? I live in a place where it rains very often and very heavily and the run will be uncoverd...I know that sometimes changes people's thoughts on coop designs. Anyway...thoughts? Advice? Et cetera?

I'm working on designing my first serious chicken run and am wondering if folks had personal experiences with gravel and sand and the pros/cons between them? I live in a place where it rains very often and very heavily and the run will be uncoverd...I know that sometimes changes people's thoughts on coop designs. Anyway...thoughts? Advice? Et cetera?
Definitely sand. Gravel can be hard on their feet and is hard to clean. You could also use mulch.

I would definitely read this resource before you begin....it's got some GREAT information:

https://www.thefeatherbrain.com/blog/sand-chicken-coop-bedding

That being said, last summer I built a new coop and switched over to a sand/screenings mix. Screenings are a very fine gravel almost like the gravel you see in fish tanks...only it is natural stone instead of synthetic. I put this in my coop and was AMAZED at the difference. Of course, I live in the hot, muggy, Deep south and we get a lot of rain. For me, that meant smelly, moldy, fly-infested bedding when I was using shavings and/or straw. Of course, everyone has a different situation and I'm sure sand/gravel is not for everyone. But for my flock, it made a huge difference. The smell and flies disappeared. It is easier for me to clean because it absorbs the moisture from the poop (especially cecal poop) and makes it clump like clumping kitty litter. Easy to scoop up with a kitty litter sifter. My coop, eggs, and chicken feet are all cleaner.

I would definitely read this resource before you begin....it's got some GREAT information:

https://www.thefeatherbrain.com/blog/sand-chicken-coop-bedding

That being said, last summer I built a new coop and switched over to a sand/screenings mix. Screenings are a very fine gravel almost like the gravel you see in fish tanks...only it is natural stone instead of synthetic. I put this in my coop and was AMAZED at the difference. Of course, I live in the hot, muggy, Deep south and we get a lot of rain. For me, that meant smelly, moldy, fly-infested bedding when I was using shavings and/or straw. Of course, everyone has a different situation and I'm sure sand/gravel is not for everyone. But for my flock, it made a huge difference. The smell and flies disappeared. It is easier for me to clean because it absorbs the moisture from the poop (especially cecal poop) and makes it clump like clumping kitty litter. Easy to scoop up with a kitty litter sifter. My coop, eggs, and chicken feet are all cleaner.
Yes I also live in the south which is why I was considering gravel it seems as though it would absorb moisture better..I will def give that article a read too. Any other thoughts from anyone?

I, personally, would never use gravel. When I talked about screenings above...which are a form of very fine gravel...I still mixed it with masonry sand. I probably could have used masonry sand by itself, but I was paranoid that it was too fine so I mixed in the screenings to add just a tad of coarseness.

ETA - here's an example of screenings.
screenings.jpg

Mine looks more like this....

sand.jpg

Back
Top Bottom