Gravity feeder

Quail4Fun

Chirping
Apr 20, 2020
I currently have 2 smallish gravity feeders set up for my 10 quail. I love it. I only have to fill them every other day. I had been feeding a high protein chicken starter that was small crumbles. I just switched my birds to a quail layer feed as it had a better ratio of calcium. However, it is a fine mill and seems to be having difficulty flowing out of the gravity feeder. I have to occasionally shake the feeder to fill the bottom trough when my birds empty it. Defeats the purpose of a gravity feeder. I am wondering if I should mix it with their oyster shells or half and half with the old feed to make it more likely to 'fall' without caking. I don't want to invest in more feeders or waste the bag of food I purchased. I am a nurse and work long shifts and would hate for my birds to go hungry when I'm not around to manually dispense their food. Anyone have suggestions?

I currently have 2 smallish gravity feeders set up for my 10 quail. I love it. I only have to fill them every other day. I had been feeding a high protein chicken starter that was small crumbles. I just switched my birds to a quail layer feed as it had a better ratio of calcium. However, it is a fine mill and seems to be having difficulty flowing out of the gravity feeder. I have to occasionally shake the feeder to fill the bottom trough when my birds empty it. Defeats the purpose of a gravity feeder. I am wondering if I should mix it with their oyster shells or half and half with the old feed to make it more likely to 'fall' without caking. I don't want to invest in more feeders or waste the bag of food I purchased. I am a nurse and work long shifts and would hate for my birds to go hungry when I'm not around to manually dispense their food. Anyone have suggestions?
I had the same issue! I had a whole thread on it. In the end I am fermenting the feed that gets blocked up, because I don’t want to waste it. And I bought more largely granulated feed to put in the feeder. I tried mixing and the ridiculous thing is the pellets fall thru and more powder packs in. It basically sorts itself. I tried all different tricks with the opening to make it flow, but it gets stuck higher up, so I put in a cone, and the birds tried to pull the cone thru the bottom. The fermented feed is actually great, a bit of a pain to maintain vs gravity feeders, but no more sticky tar poops.

I had the same issue! I had a whole thread on it. In the end I am fermenting the feed that gets blocked up, because I don’t want to waste it. And I bought more largely granulated feed to put in the feeder. I tried mixing and the ridiculous thing is the pellets fall thru and more powder packs in. It basically sorts itself. I tried all different tricks with the opening to make it flow, but it gets stuck higher up, so I put in a cone, and the birds tried to pull the cone thru the bottom. The fermented feed is actually great, a bit of a pain to maintain vs gravity feeders, but no more sticky tar poops.

What brand of feed are you using for the feeder?

What brand of feed are you using for the feeder?
I bought a brand called h & h, it’s made in Texas. I got it from amazon and it’s pretty pricey, in the future I plan to look for something cheaper. The original stuff, I don’t remember the name, was about 25 bux for 40 or 50 lbs, delivered. The new stuff is 35 bux for 20 lbs! But I just wanted to get something and most places are not getting shipments around here so the choices are limited and I dislike Purina products in general which seems to be a common producer. I called like 3 or 4 places and they said they only had purina game bird foods.

The one I'm using is from a place in MD I ordered online. Also fairly expensive $45 for 40lbs. I struggle to find high protein anything here (outside DC) as I'm fairly urban and if people have anything it is chickens. I like everything about it except the fineness of the mill. :th

The one I'm using is from a place in MD I ordered online. Also fairly expensive $45 for 40lbs. I struggle to find high protein anything here (outside DC) as I'm fairly urban and if people have anything it is chickens. I like everything about it except the fineness of the mill. :th
Is it yellow like corn meal?

It is called Homestead Harvest.

Attachments

• 15930222733975820232858468231961.jpg
    15930222733975820232858468231961.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 4
Same as mine, but the price went up, I bought in like March and it was 25 bux.

At least I’m not the only one who had issues. Mine didn’t get stuck until I moved them outside, it was the humidity I think.

also in comparison to this feed fermented, and the new feed, they hate this crap dry.

Well, might go back to the chicken starter and oyster shells.... thanks so much for sharing your thread!!

Back
Top Bottom