1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gray heads??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by QueenMum, Apr 8, 2009.

1. QueenMum

QueenMum New Egg

Mar 17, 2009
    I'm a newbie to this wonderful world of chicken darlings. My BO's are 6 weeks old and night before last the bulb on the brooder went out. When we got up the next morning the temp was 36 degrees. All the chicks were puffed up but seem to be okay. This morning I went out and the tops of the heads of two of the chicks are gray. Just behind their combs. Almost like they've been dusted with wood ash. They seem to be just fine but I was wondering if it's something I need to worry about??? Thanks so much for all your help!!!

2. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Sorry - I've never seen that before. Hopefully someone can help. Good luck.

3. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

did they get frostbite?

4. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Sounds like frostbite.

5. QueenMum

QueenMum New Egg

Mar 17, 2009
    Oh Dear! The tops of their heads would get frost bite? Their little combs are fine. It's just their heads under their feathers. I'll keep an eye on them.
    Thanks so much for your help!!

6. QueenMum

QueenMum New Egg

Mar 17, 2009
    I also noticed this morning that a couple of them have gray around their eyes? The gray on their heads is now getting darker. They seem to be fine though. Eating and drinking normally. I can't tell you how blessed I feel to have this website!! THANKS!![​IMG]

7. kycklingmamma

kycklingmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

I might be way off, but could it be that they are loosing their fluff, and replacing it with darker colored feathers? I realize you said BO's but it seems weird that they got frostbite on their heads but not on their combs. Just a thought.

Kycklingmamma

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by