Gray Texas A&M Quail

MichelleKing

Songster
Aug 25, 2018
Ohio
Hi, I've been told my gray texas A&M quail has a special gene mutation that makes her gray. She's gorgeous. My question is, does anyone know exactly how rare that is and also, should I try to find a white male to breed her with? I do have one of her babies but I bred her to my only light roo (Italian colored male), and their baby is a very light bird but still spotted.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice? Thanks!

Her name is Dash and she's beautiful.

Hi, I've been told my gray texas A&M quail has a special gene mutation that makes her gray. She's gorgeous. My question is, does anyone know exactly how rare that is and also, should I try to find a white male to breed her with? I do have one of her babies but I bred her to my only light roo (Italian colored male), and their baby is a very light bird but still spotted.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice? Thanks!

Her name is Dash and she's beautiful.

Pics, pics!

Both parents A&M?

Can I pleeeeaaasseee see them!!! Oh pretty please! Sounds lovely!

Maybe she is a pale silver? There are like a billion silver variations lol! There is one some people call platinum and I think I just hatched something quite similar to what you are describing. I thought it was all yellow at first - an English white or Texas AM but then after he fluffed out I can just barely make out lines on the back and he got a darker skin like greyish. I also got another definite silver in the batch and the breeder sold the mix as containing loads of these colors which I did get a big variety - quite pleased actually!

But I would LOVE to see your birds including the offspring! :)

Maybe she is a pale silver? There are like a billion silver variations lol! There is one some people call platinum and I think I just hatched something quite similar to what you are describing. I thought it was all yellow at first - an English white or Texas AM but then after he fluffed out I can just barely make out lines on the back and he got a darker skin like greyish. I also got another definite silver in the batch and the breeder sold the mix as containing loads of these colors which I did get a big variety - quite pleased actually!

But I would LOVE to see your birds including the offspring! :)[/QUOT

ABSOLUTELY

But I would LOVE to see your birds including the offspring! :)
upload_2019-2-16_6-14-32.png

upload_2019-2-16_6-14-45.png

OFFSPRING JUST HATCHED FIVE MINUTES AGO!!!! Little yellow one!
upload_2019-2-16_6-15-22.png

Yeah I got no flippin' idea then. She is either

A: a completely new silver mutation or a spontaneous recurrence of an existing one

B: a recessive silver, which are pretty rare but they are around. If both parents carried one gene it could show up.

I would breed her and see what you get. If you get silver babies in the first generation, it's a spontaneous dominant silver mutation, if you get them in the second generation after breeding her sons back to her she is a recessive silver.

Back
Top Bottom