Grazed, slightly peeled and bloody comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by desert chicken, Aug 27, 2008.

1. desert chicken

desert chicken New Egg

Aug 27, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    My chook got attached or something this morning and her comb has the outside layer grazed off of it. She isn't showing too much sign of stress and the others don't seem to be bothering her yet but I want to prevent anything before it happens.

Chance of infection? What is a good anti-infection treatment for a comb?
    Should I separate her immediately or see if the other start to irritate her first?
    If its red on red (blood on the red comb) will they notice it and still peck at it?

Obviously a chicken rookie!

The girls are about 9 months, are a leghorn hybrid and are great layers.

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    They prob will start to peck. I would put some neosporin antibiotic ointment on it and watch them for pecking...if the start to peck at her take her out.

3. desert chicken

desert chicken New Egg

Aug 27, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    Thanks a ton, i had thought about the neosporin and so its good to know that it wont be bad on the girl. Will keep posting with updates as the days go on.

4. desert chicken

desert chicken New Egg

Aug 27, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    The comb seems to have scabbed over pretty good, I think all the dirt from the dust bathing has helped! I am thinking another dose of neosporin tonight to insure no infection should do the trick and amazingly enough the other girls have left her alone. No pecking yet![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by