Grazing frames for free ranging my flocks.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SupaChickn, Oct 1, 2012.

1. SupaChickn

SupaChickn Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2012
    Harrison, Ga
    I came acroos the idea of grazing frames this morning while looking at a few sites. They look like a good idea to me to keep my flock from rippping up the roots in their grazing area. Has anyone had any luck with these and do you pehaps have any other ideas about saving the grass in their grazing area so i dont have to make 2 seperate grazing pens. Thanks

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I turn over my extra rolls of chicken wire and move them around periodically as the grass grows well under them. They love to come eat the fresh long grass after I move the rolls. They walk through them sometimes to hide from hawks, too.

3. SupaChickn

SupaChickn Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2012
    Harrison, Ga
    I ended up building 2ftx2ft frames out of 2x4's and tacking hardware cloth to one side of them. then placing them in the coop hardware cloth side up and filling them with dirt like a raised bed in a garden. then i bout some plot seed mix from walmart and mixed it with birdseed and rye grass and sprinkled it thrgouh the hardware cloth on the dirt. It sprouted up and grows up thru the cloth. the chickens now have a nice salad bar they can freely pick from with out damaging the roots of the grass. it worked out AMAZINGLY well. If i remember ill take a pic tomorrow and post it for you to see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by