1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by lovesduckies, May 12, 2010.

1. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    stupid cat bit me. he bites everyone and bit me one other time, but this time he broke skin. i put peroixide on it. let's hope it doens't get infected. i don't have health insurance, a job, a bank account... NOTHIN!!! i'm broke like nooooooo joke. if i had anything i'd be going to the doctor.

do my animals think i am a chew toy??? my drake has made a habit of biting me everytime i sleep and now my cat bit me. it's all on my left arm. what the hay????

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Cat bites can be serious things. keep an eye on it, and if it starts to look worse, go line up at the emergency room. indigent care. Better lost time than lost use of your hand. seriously.

3. HenPen

HenPen Songster

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Do you have any neosporin....if you do mush some of that into the wound

4. patnjess

patnjess Songster

Apr 2, 2010
    don't clean it with peroxide. it is not for puncture wounds (if that is what it is) it is h2o2, and when put into more then a surface wound, it breaks down to water.

Clean it really well with soap and water, try and pull it apart to clean it, and if you have any betadine get in there good, with a q-tip if need be, and neosporin.
    Hopefully you don't get an infection, if you do you HAVE to go to the dr, they have some nasty mouths.

5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I don't know about your area, but in several Wal-Marts there are care-express. They will take people with no insurance. The fee is $65 (I think) and they will try to prescribe the cheapest medicine possible. I would at least call around and see if there is one nearby, but I understand about the no money thing...it sucks.

Keep a close eye on it!

6. lovesduckies

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    it's punctured. i think i have neosporin, i'm not sure. if not i will make my mom buy me some. if it gets bad i will go to the ER cuz i'd like to keep my left arm hahaha. there are 3 little puncture wounds.

a few years back, my dad was bit by a different cat of ours. he had to punch her in the face to get her off, she learned not to bite. his arm swelled up to the size of a football, he had to get a shot cuz he was dumb and didn't clean it lol. i am not as dumb as him [​IMG]

i will clean with soap and water!! i have antibacterial soap!! and i know i do cuz it's left from my tattoos lol

7. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Songster

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    NO neosporin!!! The ointment will clog it and prevent your body from pushing out the 'bad' stuff, and it will heal the outside first, which you DONT want!! I'd get the cream antibiotics otherwise you might have more problems later! I would soak it in betadine solution often and try and keep it cleaned out. Cat bites are some serious stuff though!!

8. lovesduckies

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    okay. i don't have neosporin anyway. i just washed it in warm water with antibacterial soap. what is this betadine solution??

9. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Songster

Mar 20, 2008
    NO neosporin!!! The ointment will clog it and prevent your body from pushing out the 'bad' stuff, and it will heal the outside first, which you DONT want!!

That is the same thing I have been told by doctors and nurses about puncture or deeper wounds.

Bentadine is an orangish colored surgical scrub. It works really well.​

10. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    hospitals here have to take u even if u don't have insurance call the hospital and check cat bites r not something to mess with if there is a puncture wound. i have never had my cats bit me but they r right they r nasty bites from their saliva weather a house cat or wild.

my fil was bitten last trapping season by a non targeted bobcat. when he went to release it he tripped over a rock and fell on her. she went for his throat thankfully she nailed 4 puncture wounds in his hand not his face and neck. he had to go to the er. they didn't put him on antibiotics right away just started rabies shots since the cat was realeased and within days it was swollen and seaping puss. they put him on antibiotics the 3rd day and admitted him into the hospital, the first antibiotic didn't work to mild. by day 5 it was 3/4 of the way up his arm with red and infection. they drew a line said if not better the next day they would have to amputate above the line to stop it from spreading and looseing whole arm. cats have pasterella in their saliva we told him to have them test for it so they did and changed his antibiotic next day swelling was down and he was released from hospital 2 days later. if it wasn't for us the hospital had no idea what to look for or what the infection was he most likely would have lost most of his arm.

if u see ANY red, swelling, feel burning anything abnormal get to the er immediately and have them test for pasterella it is not something to play with and can be life threatning if left untreated. CrazyCatNChickenLady is absolutely right with what she said already, the infection must seap out or it will spread internal. you should always be on an antibiotic if bitten by a cat with puncture wounds, being it is a house cat that did it u maybe fine. chances r less if not an outside cat or exotic type of cat but it is still possible with any cat. hope this helps ya some and please keep us posted how things go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by