greasy looking neck cape and losing neck feathers...is that moulting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jtaul, Sep 3, 2016.

1. jtaul

jtaul New Egg

Aug 19, 2016
    Hi, new chicken guardian with a ~4 year old chicken who brooded on a wooden egg the entire month of June, then perked up once it was removed. Does molting always follow brooding? Sometime in July, her neck cape started to look a little greasy/black/droopy and those feathers are starting to fall out. It is starting to cover a wider area of her neck, but I am not finding a lot of feathers gone elsewhere on body.

She has been laying eggs every day or day and a half in July/August,but stopped one week ago. She is otherwise curious, energetic, and a good eater.

I've searched google and forums for pictures, but I really can't find anything that looks similar. Does this look familiar to anybody?

[​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Some will molt partially after being broody, and sometimes hens go through a neck molt in the spring. She will probably quit laying in the fall sometime between now and December and go through a full body molt.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Could be a neck molt...take a look at her skin there you might see new pin feathers growing in.....but be gentle, pin feathers can be uncomfortable when growing.
    She looks pretty darn good for 4 years old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by