1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

GREAT. 4 PERCENT HATCH RATE + the chick died :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by magicpigeon, Jan 16, 2011.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Ok, so my second set of eggs are due today [​IMG] This is the one where the original clutch was 23 and I was totally freaking out. Well, now I'm down to 15 and I'm pretty sure they are all developing (candled on day 18). By the way, if this all sounds a little weird, they're under a broody hen, not an incubator. Sorry, I forgot to mention that. [​IMG]
    Anyway, she started setting at about 6:00PM at night, and it's been almost exactly 21 days. I'm wondering if the eggs will hatch at 6:00, or later...or sooner...[​IMG]
    Do they hatch exactly at the same time they were set on, only 3 weeks later? I'm going crazy checking my broody for peeping every few minutes. AAAAAAGGGHH!! [​IMG] Please help me before I bite off my own hand...[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  2. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Calm down [​IMG] Eggs can hatch, Early or later, I think I heard something like some eggs go a few days after "21 day hatch, date" Like the late bloomers [​IMG] It should be fine.

Keep us updated, I bet you will have a pip soon, or you might here chirping from the egg..

PICS!!!!!

good luck [​IMG]

3. magicpigeon

Oct 9, 2010
    Well, it's 7:00PM now and not a peep [​IMG]

4. 8ROYALS

8ROYALS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Petersburg, Texas
    I had a silkie hen take 24 days to hatch 3 chicks out of 10. So don't give up...I never do until like day 25-26. They will hatch in their own time.....good luck

5. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    Good luck with your babies. Hopefully by the morning some might have popped out to meet you. [​IMG]

6. magicpigeon

Oct 9, 2010
    AAAGGHH, it's so agonising though! It's now 11:30 in the morning and nothing yet! [​IMG]

7. magicpigeon

Oct 9, 2010
    The first (and only) pip just occurred at 2:00PM. Not sure if it's going to hatch, but if it does I've got a 4% hatch rate!! [​IMG] Oh well, I suppose there's always an incubator I can buy sometime in the future from preventing this from happening...[​IMG]

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    [​IMG] I have a broody hen on 9 eggs 24 days in-not a pip and all were developing [​IMG]

9. magicpigeon

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG] I hope your next hatch goes well [​IMG]

Anyway, it's 11:35 on day 23 and the first one just hatched! It' looks like none other have pipped yet, but I'm hoping for a bit more since the first was so late to hatch. I'll post some pics soon! [​IMG]

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I am an idiot day 25 and I go down to feed and water-brody is off nest-eggs are cool-again. SO I give up collect all 9 eggs. I take a pair of scissors and wack a small hole on the top of an egg-just to see..LIVE CHICK!!!! I open another -LIVE CHICK!!!! I didnt touch another one and I put all 9 back and pray that dingbat broody finishes her job!!! I feel sick 25 days--I have never had live chicks at day 25!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by