1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Great Ad on craigslist in Georgia

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by jbowyer01, Jan 15, 2009.

1. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
  2. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    THAT is a steal. I'd pay that for the portable tractor. The birds are a bonus!
    Christina

3. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

I must be CHEAP!!!!
    I seen 13 birds, portable tractor, $175 FIRM...
    Maybe it's just me. But isn't that kinda a high price to pay. I mean around here at swaps you can pick up laying hens for just a few dollars. Are the tractors really that exspensive?? Or could it be made cheaper...It looks like we have all the material here, now just need to find the time.
    Not trying to be rude with my statement, more currious as to if I am just CHEAP!!!!!!!

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Seems a bit high to me too, since that tractor is small and scrap-made! Nice chickens, though.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Laying hens here arent cheap, but the real cost is if they brought some disease into the flock. Materials arent cheap but by scavenging, you can build one for almost zero. If anyone buys it, disinfect it well and quarantine the birds.

6. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    personally I think that is a good price, just the time alone and materials for the tractor would cost almost that much. I posted a very high price on Craigs list today for 4 Australorps to test the market in my area after seeing the silkie chick sell for $2000 I thought maybe because I am in such a wealthy city area that maybe I would get higher prices and figured it sure could not hurt to try [​IMG]

7. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I know they aren't cheap, but I mean I have seen laying hens go for less than $5 each. I have seen babies $1 or less. I have also seen laying hens go for $15 each and babies for $5 each. I don't mean cheap prices are they way to go, cuz yes you could bring soemething back. I think I was more trying to say it's tooo exspensive for me to pay. Yes I would only bring back healthy birds. I do look them over very carefully even if they are free.

8. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Nobodys being rude [​IMG] Thats part of what makes BYC so wonderful, everyone can chime in. I know around here the average hen that is laying runs 15 to 20 bucks depending on type. So just doinf the math with 13 hens that are producing it adds up to around $260.00. I'm not the seller but just wish I had the room.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Who was being rude? Just told the story of laying hens in N
    Ga. They go for up to $30 each at the local feedstore. They go cheaper in different areas. Just a word of caution about the disease factor with buying started birds with equipment.

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have seen some roosters go for $100. I have seen mated hens for him go for $200.

If you have barnyard mutts by all means they won't bring that price. I don't expect anyone to buy my extras. I'd rather put them in my freezer knowing how well fed they were than tolet someone have all my invextment and hard work for $5.

As far as the chicken tractors, someone has a risk of some serious disease spread if those things are properly disinfected and allowed to sun. Lots of disease can lay dorman until spring brings out the nasties.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by