1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Great Broodies I Have Known....all my broodies with chicks (PICS)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, May 15, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Last year, Olivia (Cochin/Silkie x BR) and Glenda (blue Orp x Buff Brahma) all raised chicks. The year before, Sunny (Buff Orp) raised babies. This year, Dusty (Blue Orp) and Nugget (Buff Orp) have hatched babies and now Shadow (banty Cochin) is sitting on five eggs. Here are pics with all those ladies and their babies, just for fun. I love broodies!
    Sunny
    [​IMG]

Glenda
    [​IMG]

Olivia
    [​IMG]

Nugget:
    [​IMG]

Dusty:
    [​IMG]

2. NakedNeck

NakedNeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    Very cute! Nothing like seeing a mama hen with her babies! [​IMG]

3. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    AWWW You always have the best pics!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Thanks. Sunny was a SUPER-broody! I had 25 chicks in the pen next to where she hatched her babies that were two weeks old. When her own babies were a week old, she acted like she badly wanted in with the other 25, so we let her. She adopted all 25 babies in addition to her 2. It was amazing to see a three week old chick try to sit on her back, LOL.

5. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    I love that last pic of Dusty!

She is sucha beautiful hen.

Thanks for sharing!

6. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

Great pics! I'm having fun watching my first broody on day 2 with her chicks.. she just warms my heart - watching how she cares for these chicks, teaches, them, talks to them.. I have been hypnotized!! *smile*

Thanks for posting these pics!

7. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    AWWWWWWW I love the pics. We have a buff broody now with 3 eggs, boy is she moody! Your ladies look like great mommies!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by