great 'coop' information

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by countrydreamer8, Feb 14, 2015.

1. countrydreamer8

countrydreamer8 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Brockport, NY
    I'm reading through all these comments and I'm getting awesome info! One thing for sure that I'll get is Hardware cloth not just normal fencing. I think I have the chance of getting an old kennel which I think I can use for the run but I will make sure to put a top on it. I know I have Raccoon's, Hawks, fishers, fox and of course those **** Coyotes. I have approximately 4 acres of property [most which is wooded] I have about a 1/2 acre fenced in with a 4' Farm fence which I put up a couple of years ago to keep the fox and Coyotes out of my yard because I have 2 cats that go outside and of course my very spoiled 112lb black lab. I knew I had to do something to protect my chickens from the fox & Coyotes which is why I installed the fence also. However, I didn't know that Raccoons will reach right into the fencing OMG!! I didn't know that sparrows carry mites? Does this mean that I shouldn't ever let my chickens go free range through out the whole yard when I'm out there?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Don’t worry about sparrows possibly carrying lice or mites. Just because something might possibly happen does not mean it is guaranteed to happen. Inspect your chickens to see if they do have a mite or lice problem. If you find a problem treat for it. Otherwise don’t go looking for problems that don’t exist. In your lifetime they might or might not get mites or lice from any source. If you do, you can handle it.

3. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Don't be afraid of your shadow. Well I have chickens and I feed all sort of sparrows, as well as any bird that comes to the bird feeder. Still have no issues or problems with mites. Doing this for nearly 20 years. give or take. Time and space has no meaning. =D . As to raccoons, a few thoughts. 1) most have fleas. that you cant do anything about. 2) they will not be grabbing thru the fence. your chicken will not be sleeping leaning against the fence in most cases. They will climb over fence and have their advantage. 3) they are active at night. have your coop secure and locked at night. I have had raccoons eat my chickens before. Secured coop better and solved for the most part. Just have to make sure I don't forget to lock down before it gets dark. Willie the coyote on the other hand has no problem stopping over for lunch. You need fence that will keep him from jumping over or climbing it to get over. The hungrier they are the higher the fence they can scale. They are also able to dig under. You solve that one as you see possible. There are options, some more costly than others.
    WISHING YOU BEST[​IMG]

4. countrydreamer8

Jan 27, 2013
    Brockport, NY
    Thanks for the support[​IMG] I will definitely look into digging a trench and burying the fence. Does anyone have an idea on far down the trench should be?

5. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    You bury the fence on an outward angle. There are different opinions as to how deep. Willie will start digging right at the fence line . he wont go back 2 feet and start tunneling there. So 20 inches outward and not necessarily that deep will have him encounter the barrier. He may decide to do lunch elsewhere.

6. countrydreamer8

Jan 27, 2013
    Brockport, NY
    that makes perfect sense thank you so much

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by