Great Dane verses a BA Pullet... am I treating her correctly?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SSAcres, Feb 27, 2014.

1. SSAcres

SSAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

The pullet lost but she's doing okay. She's almost 11 months old. Thankfully she has/had a lot of feathers to protect her for the most part. Mostly feathers missing on her back and tail, but one area did rip the skin back. A good sized section under her wing, about 2" x 5" or so.

I removed as many loose feathers as I could, washed w/ peroxide and then put neosporin on her bare area. I made her a scrambled egg and she's eating and drinking just fine. I've got her in the outdoor run/dog kennel, as I can't tell her apart from the other birds due to her feathers... You can't see anything wrong w/ her until you move feathers or her wing. I'm going to put her in a dog crate inside the coop so she's not outted by the flock. We have 25 birds.

Is there anything else I can do for her? She's such a trooper. I found her hiding under some tall grass and when I finally was able to get her out she screamed bloody murder, I'd never heard them make that sound... I simply held her gently close to my coat (it's 3 degrees w/ a wind chill of -6) and talked real softly to her to calm her and after that she was quiet. She remained quiet as I was assessing her injuries.

I still need to find the other birds... I had about 10 others MIA after I found her and two others hiding in tall grass not injured, thankfully.

Dang dog and dang BF for not checking all doors in the coop at bedtime last night!!!! GRRRR

2. SSAcres

SSAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apparently I wasn't or the damage was more severe that I suspected. She passed away today. :( She did lay an egg for me yesterday.... unfortunately, it was her last. sigh....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by