Great earlier, dead tonight.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Echobabe, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Echobabe

Echobabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    My little Zelda died in my arms. She has been in molt but starting to look almost done. Was terrific 5 hours earlier but found her hiding in a corner of the coop at lock-up time. Swollen abdomen, droopy wings, straining to push and terrified. I never did feel an egg. I soaked her in the tub, fed her tums & C, greased up her vent. She strained until prolapse. I tucked everything back in but she kept straining and eventually died, I think from a heart attack.

This all happened in about an hour. Right now I feel so bad for not being able to help her. Of course, she was my absolute favorite hen, the light of my flock.

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Awwww, poor little thing. I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

3. Raven81

Raven81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    im so sorry for your loss i know what its like i lost one last week to a similar problem, she wasnt molting thou, its even harder when its your fav one..

4. funnybirds

funnybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    [​IMG]
    So sorry for your loss. That's a hard one.

5. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry. I lost my Ethel the exact same way about a month ago--hard molt, then eggbound, then prolapse and death within a very short time. Ethel had a history of prolapse from her very first egg though, so I kinda knew that was how she would leave me. I was always able to catch it and help her before it became serious. Until this last time, I think she had already been straining much too long.

[​IMG]

6. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    oh i am so sorry for your loss. glad you were able to be with her and she wasnt alone. [​IMG]

7. happymorrows

happymorrows Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Morganton, NC
    Sorry to hear about your hen. You did everything you could for her. From the sounds of it she lived a happy life with a great home.

8. Echobabe

Echobabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Thanks for the kind words. You always just wish there was more I could have done. just glad it was quick for her.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So sorry to her about your hen.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've had the worst issues when they are in full molt, both with egg malfunctions and crop issues. Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by