Great egg layin' story out of England...Radio hens in egg-laying frenz

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sdChickie, Sep 12, 2009.

1. sdChickie

sdChickie Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2009
    San Diego
    Hello,

A friend of mine just posted this to my chickens' Facebook page! I like the story, so thought it would be fun to share. Have you ever played music for your girls?? Has it made a difference?

from the story:
    The chickens love listening to DJs such as Malcolm Laycock
    A chicken farmer has claimed that playing BBC Radio 2 to his flock has resulted in a "staggering" increase in egg production.

"If a bird is unstressed then you get a better quality egg."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/essex/5172712.stm

On
    Facebook?? Be a fan of The Chicks of North Park, there's more room in the coop!!

2. chicklin

chicklin Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2009
    Louisville
    hmm... who would have thought

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    actually when cleaning the garage coops (where my loudest roos are ) I often play Classic Rock, and believe it or not the certainly crow a lot less, I started it to drown out the crowing but it seems to make them almost stop. I never really gave it much thought until now, I will have to experiment further....

4. nature nut

nature nut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    I don't remember where I read this but somewhere I was reading about an actual scientific study where classical music was played to hens throughout their lives and they found the groups that had the music played to them were less stressed, had better immunity to parasites and disease, and grew more quickly. Who'd a thunk it ? I also read somewhere else that chickens will gather around a radio to listen to it and that they enjoy watching TV! Maybe on our next movie night I should make enough popcorn for the girls too and we could be sitting on the couch all [​IMG] and the girls would be all...[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by