Great Feed For Your Chucks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MaxHamer, Feb 16, 2012.

1. MaxHamer

MaxHamer New Egg

Feb 16, 2012
    North Yorkshire, England
    I have been keeping chickens for 10 years now & now have found a great feed for your chickens all year round!
    I currently have 20 chickens & this is how I feed them.
    I spend £17 a month on feed.
    The feed is called Micronized Flaked Wheat made by mmf, but I don't just throw this at my chickens like anyone else would.
    I take three large scoops & throw that into a bucket. I then add water until it covers the wheat. Leave it over night.
    When the next day has come I put scraps from the day before (last nights meal left overs: veg, bread etc. ) into the bucket & give it a bit of a stir.
    Then chuck that into your chickens feed bowl or just on the floor & it'll go down a treat!
    This will really fill up your chickens for the day.
    I give them worms & often a few handfuls of layers pellets to make sure they have enough protein.
    This feeds twenty of my chickens a day & they never go hungry as you can see by their large crops.
    You can also add crushed up egg shells to make sure their calcium levels are at a high & their egg shells stay firm.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I love to hear about home made food. Maybe you should think about adding a vitamin supplement.

3. MaxHamer

MaxHamer New Egg

Feb 16, 2012
    North Yorkshire, England
    What I should have really mentioned is that they are free ranged birds & they do wonder round the garden eating grass & vegetable leaves.
    Maybe that isn't enough?
    Have you got any suggestions vitamin wise?

4. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    If your chickens are healthy and laying well, I don't think you would have to add anything. I think Purina has everyone convinced that chickens can't survive without all the additives they put in their feed!
    [​IMG]

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Sounds like nice rations!

6. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Max, what kind of chickens do you have?

7. MaxHamer

MaxHamer New Egg

Feb 16, 2012
    North Yorkshire, England
    Sorry for the late reply!
    I have Lavender Opringtons, Silkies, Black Rocks, Warrens, Rhode Island Reds, Welsummers &
    some unidentified bantams.

8. MaxHamer

MaxHamer New Egg

Feb 16, 2012
    North Yorkshire, England
    what about you?:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by