1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Great flock gaurdian story

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by setter4, Sep 15, 2008.

1. setter4

setter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Central Pennsylvania
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Good story...GREAT picture! I love that. Thanks for posting it.

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    [​IMG] Awesome. Thanks for sharing that. A picture does say a 1000 words, does it not?

4. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I knew there was a reason that a Great Pyrenees will be my next dog. Great story.

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

My GP/Lab mix does the same thing...will literally jump up in the air to try to get at any low flying hawk, crow or buzzard. Her bark is amazingly deep and menacing for such a sweet dog!

6. Mountain Man Jim

Mountain Man Jim Chillin' With My Peeps

I love Pyrs!!!! They make owning chickens very easy 1) Let chickens out 2) Feed chickens 3) Go to work 4) Get home and collect eggs 5) Put chickens in at night 6) Pet dogs!!

7. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Very cool story!

8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Quote:I get to skip the Steps #1 & #5...I don't bother to close the pop door or anything. The dogs sleep within 10 ft. of the door and are on patrol all night. You are sooooo right...makes chicken raisin' easy!

9. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    My GSD Rex does that many times a day. He was inside today because roofers were here fixing damage from Gustav and he started barking and carrying on and running back and forth past glass wall in sunroom. I had to let him out and off he took, running, jumping barking and carrying on. The guys said "what's wrong with him?" I said "he's chasing that hawk." They said "Wow, look at him go....but that's a buzzard." I said "Yeah, but don't tell him that, they look the same and they get the same treatment." [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by