Great Grey?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Stacykins, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I have no front pictures of this beautiful bird whose picture I captured, so identification could be a little difficult. But to me, it doesn't look like a Great Horned Owl, to me, it looks like a Great Grey. What do you think?

Two nights ago a cockerel was killed. My cockerel pen isn't covered, and I clip a wing so they cannot fly out. Cockerels there are either sold or grow until I butcher them. Usually it is the latter. The cockerel was torn in half, so I was thinking it was a raccoon or something along those lines.

I set the left overs outside the pen and setup a game camera. Unfortunately, a juvenile wild turkey was killed on the road by the house yesterday, so I grabbed that up to bait the camera, too. I am glad, because that was one hungry owl! I am only showing the best picture, but it came and went from 10pm until 6am, decimating the carcasses throughout the night. There is very little left, even of the turkey.

It sitting on the turkey gives you an idea of size, too. That was quite a large juvie turkey, and the owl sitting on it is also quite big! Much bigger than the chicken it snacked on.

[​IMG]

My solution is obviously to cover the pen with the cockerels, so the owl cannot have them as a snack. My other pens are covered, so they're safe.

2. Howlet

Howlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    It might actually be a Boreal! the blotchy/striped/spotted feathers are a trademark. Great Grays i believe are all silver, so you wouldnt see the tail feather shafts appear to be striped. and i dont know if that many great grays live in MI. not to mention how hard they are to find.

However it seems like theres enough food to support one if turkeys are often ran over XD

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    From image I am unable to distinguish a Great Gray Owl from a Great-horned Owl. Neither as large as they appear Great Gray Owl is relatively dainty. For me management same for both; cover roost area and / or make so dog can get in there and root owl out when it visits.

4. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Turns out it is a Great Horned owl. I finally got an image that showed the face and ear tufts much better!

The owl attempted to snack on my extra cockerels last night...and found he was quite cockerel blocked! There were some leftovers for him to snack on, though.

I put a cockerel in a livetrap to lure it in if the leftovers did not. He was probably the safest of the bunch until it was proven the new netting over the others worked!

[​IMG]

Staring contest
    [​IMG]

And a confused/hungry owl
    [​IMG]

He/she likely looking for a way in
    [​IMG]

Testing out the netting. Great Horned Owls weigh from 2.5 to 3.5lbs on average, so they're not too hefty.
    [​IMG]

Settling for the leftovers rather than fresh meat. I guess something is better than nothing?
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by