Great Horned Owl in my pen this morning

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by momofthree, Aug 5, 2010.

1. momofthree

momofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2010
    Skiatook, OK
    Called the game warden to come get it. Gorgeous bird but it has taken two of my chickens so far..one of them my favorite banty rooster!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    What an amazing bird. Im sorry for your losses, but he truly is gorgeous.

Why didnt you just turn him loose?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  3. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Wow. It is beautiful.

How did it get in if it has yet to get back out?

Will the warden come?

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Yes it is pretty. I hear an owl at night here so I have all sides and the top of mine covered. Like you I would prefer not to have to kill it. Hope I can keep it secure enough.

5. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    How did he get into your pen? Pretty guy, but sorry for your losses.

6. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I am sorry for your losses. But isn't calling the game warden a death sentence for this gorgeous bird? Are these owls protected and not allowed to be killed? Will the warden just come and rehome it to another area. I hope he doesn't die even though he killed a few of chickens Im sorry.

7. momofthree

Jan 5, 2010
    Skiatook, OK
    yes, the warden came about 3-4 hours later. he was just taking down to the lake a few miles down the road and release it.

see, we had two possum get two chickens (body there, heads gone - happened when i ddin't lock them up at night, found bodies inside the coop) and then two chickens just up and missing and we found feathers from one of them about 30 yards from their pen. the two missing ones happened during the day.

So, last night, we covered the top of the pen with chicken wire (knowing it was just a temporary fix until we can gets omething more secure) but figured it would at least stop the dive bombing from the owls. the only way IN is about 3-4 inch gap from where the sun shade on one half of the pen is attached..... the rest is completely covered in wire (we ran out after store was closed) except for over the sun shade cloth. so, i am assuming he only got in through that small opening....and couldn't get back out. i have video of him, flying up and hanging from the top wire like a bat, etc.

i don't know why owls are supposed to be nocturnal, because i see them fly all over the place during the day.

8. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    What an amazing creature! I am sure the warden relocated him. Sorry about your birds. I have lost a few to owls over the years as well.

9. momofthree

Jan 5, 2010
    Skiatook, OK
    and actually, i saw how he captured it and it was quite easy....i figured the owl would be on the offense but it wasn't. just tossed a light jacket over him, took him a couple of times because the owl kept coming out from under it.but once it was over him securely, he gently picked up wrapped all up in teh jacket and put inside of a 5 gallon bucket and covered with the jacket.

so, if we get anymore, we will do the same thing ourselves. we are just 5 miles from the lake.

10. momofthree

Jan 5, 2010
    Skiatook, OK
    i have the video of him capturing him.....if i knew how to upload a video will...i might put it on youtube [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by