Great Horned Owl???????!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sparkles2307, Mar 30, 2009.

1. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

We have had a pair of owls that suddenly appeared at our place 2 weeks ago and have been hanging around our yard every evening. DH says that in the 30 years he has lived here there havent been owls. Wondering if they are after my goats or ducks? Is it legal to shoot an owl? Ugh if its not foxes its giant birds!

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    They are after your ducks. Yes, it is illegal to shoot them.

Just make sure your ducks are in a covered pen at night or you will lose them.

3. sparkles2307

Darn it! Will zigzagged wire or twine across the top work? The ducks live with the goats, so the pen is not covered, its too big. Maybe DNR can come trap and move the buggers...

4. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I really don't think the DNR will do anything. Do you have something like a dog house you can put them in at night?

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'd sure give the zigzagged wire or twine a try.

6. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    my neighbor lost over 100 chickens to a great horned out and the Parks Service came out and trapped it and relocated it for him. I think it's worth a call into them or DNR or DWS or whatever to see if you can get some help. It will be best in the end. They are the most incredible, indeterminate, efficient killers... They'll even take small dogs and cats without hesitation. My friend works for the national zoo and they will kill the large endangered birds like giant african cranes and things. But yes, I believe it is illegal to shoot them.

7. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    It is illegal to shot them. We had one get into our silkie pen and it had a top on it. When I let our dogs out in the morning he was still in there. He couldnt find his way out. He had already killed one and was wanting out of there. We went out and was trying to think what to do and he finally found a small hole in the side of the fence and crawled out there. We went right to work fixing any holes we could find. We haven't had another problem with owls since then. HE was pretty.
    Chris

8. little_grey_bantam

little_grey_bantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    Too many people already illegally shoot raptors (hence, why it can be detrimental if others thought it'd be alright too shoot them whenever they saw them to protect their flock). I'd think in the eye of the raptor... there are a lot more chickens out there than there are raptors. It's just the raptor's nature to want to kill in order to feed itself... remember, once upon a time, the land you're living on use to be their hunting ground.

I know it's a big heartbreak and I get all picky and cause a hissy fit when one attacks and kills my pets, but I also know that I can't blame something for their natural instincts.

I'd try to deter them with something else... don't know what, but our dog does a good job at keeping them away.

We haven't had owls (I don't think) but we have had hawks and falcons flutter around. We just fire a shot to scare them off and if so, a couple chickens a year is well worth a raptor's life... you'll just have to figure out a good harmony between the wild and your farm pets [​IMG]

Those two birds are probably looking for a place to nest which may mean they will be around for awhile and that they will try to prey on your birdies for food... [​IMG]

9. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Give them good shelter at night and you shouldn't have too much of a problem. Great Horned owls are quite large, and they can't fly into small areas because of that. We've planted trees all around my coops, and it's really really helped keep the big hawks away (the little Sharp Shinned Hawks still get in though!). I'd assume it would help with owls too. Also, if they haven't nested yet, try to ruin any appealing nesting areas. They might leave then. It's my guess that they're more after rodents and small critters that hang around poultry. Owls seem to like small things better than big prey.

10. sparkles2307

We used to have a fmaily of barn owls when we lived in WA, and the DNR DSW or whatever out there was always really great to work with ut to either take them when there were too many or to replace the chicks that died with ones from the refuge. I dont mind if they nest here, as long as my poultry, not to mention my Mini Dachshund, are safe!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by