Great, I just bought these birds today: Yellow nasal goo **UPDATE! +

teddiliza

Songster
11 Years
Feb 1, 2008
St Louis MO (Jefferson County)
This is what I get for being all excited for finding 3 pullet bantams for sale. I couldn't see anything obvious in the barn where I picked them up, but 1 hr later when I get them home I notice the white and bantam's nostril is completely blocked with yellow goo and is wheezing. What a waste of money. The barred rock bantam-pretty little thing- seems ok for now, so I've got her by herself. I've got all 3 on duramycin, but if they aren't better by next week I'll take them for testing with the state. I just think they put all the rest of their birds to auction- I hope it's nothing that some poor flock owner takes home that kills their flock. Well, I'd rather have $20 down the drain than my whole flock. This is probably the last time I buy adult birds unless it's from someone I know.

***SENT TO VET LAB FOR EUTHANASIA AND TESTING!

Last edited:
Okay, I'm following speckled hens rule to CULL any sick birds, so my husband 'euthanized' the white wyandotte bantam- she was rattling in her chest so- I figure she wouldn't last long anyway. I'm still treating the buff cochin bantam who has some nasal drainage and no rattling, and prophylactically treating the barred rock who was in the same box I transported the other two in and came from the same farm.

Oh, I'm so sorry!
sad.png

I'm sorry it didn't work out with these. You did the absolute right thing for your flock, though. Geez, I really wish people would quit selling sick birds!
he.gif
If the others have that yellow goo, I wouldn't even treat them since they may be permanent carriers. It really is better to lose $20 than your entire flock to something you brought in with new birds.
hugs.gif

PATH RESULTS ARE IN!!!

+ TRACHEITIS AND SINUSITIS!

+ MYCOPLASMA GALLISEPTICUM IN THE SICK APPEARING BIRD- BUFF COCHIN BANTAM THAT WAS IN THE SAME BOX AS THE WHITE WYANDOTTE WHICH MY HUSBAND EUTHANIZED.

+ MYCOPLASMA SYNOVIAE IN THE HEALTHY BARRED ROCK BANTAM

BOTH OF THESE TYPES OF MYCOPLASMA ARE TRANSMITTED FROM BIRD TO BIRD OR THROUGH THE EGG, AND BOTH CAN CAUSE MILD OR NO CLINICAL SIGNS IN CHICKENS.

E.COLI IN BUFF COCHIN BANTAM RESISTANT TO: CLINDAMYCIN, ERYTHROMYCIN, NOVOBIOCIN, OXYTETRACYCLINE, PENICILLIN, TETRACYCLINE, AND TYLOSIN!!!!!

So there is good reason for avoiding antibiotics, now that we have so much resistance as a result of overuse! Another good reason for washing your hands really well after you pet your chickens!

I've already pitched in the trash both boxes the chickens were kept in my garage, and given a thorough clorox wiping to the tables that the boxes rested on. I am really glad I followed everyone's advice and kept them quarantined (including the healthy appearing one) for a while. All the food dishes and waterers have been soaking in a 10% bleach water solution- which should kill just about anything.

So if you are thinking of buying chickens from someone you don't know, just be aware that you can't always tell if a bird is a carrier just because it looks healthy. I'm buying NPIP chicks and NPIP eggs from here on out!

I hope this saves some others some heartache!

This just ticks me off - what recourse might you have with the seller? It's not that these diseases weren't EVIDENT if the guy had looked at his stock carefully.
somad.gif

That's like someone with AIDS and knowing it going around and having casual sex with other people without a condom and not telling them that they have HIV. It's CRIMINAL!!!!!!!!

I know in Florida there is a "pet" lemon law - I'm not sure of the details but it's something like if you buy a dog or cat that is represented as healthy and you take it to the vet to get it's shots and the thing is worm-infested and about to die, you can get your money back. I'm just guessing/paraphrasing the intent, but I see the "pet lemon law" sign at my vet's office every time I go.

Back
Top Bottom