1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Great Idea for cheap coop!!!(only 10 bux for building)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by can you hear me now?, Jul 20, 2008.

1. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Here is the coop i almost built.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What I did was buy a moving crate from a place here in town. The dimensions are 7' tall by 7' long by 4' wide. I promised I would post these and now here they are. Not pretty but cheap and easy to do. if you anted more space then you just screw 2 or three of em together and put a slanted roof on it.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Great way to recycle!!!

3. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Thanks, I wanted to find a way to make one really cheap. The original run was actualy very small. Only about four by seven. I made it from saplings i needed to take down on my property and let it dry for about a year before I even got the initiative to get the othr parts.

4. jennadamson29

jennadamson29 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2008
    sw, missouri
    what place there in town seems like a wonderful idea and i don't live that far away

5. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Good idea...glad to see the electric wire for extra protection!! Cool!

6. PAChickenChick

PAChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    a MOVING CRATE!!!!
    Ingenius! I wish I would have thought of that....just the lumber alone would have made it worth it....

Fantastic thinking....and I'd take easy, cheap, and functioning over cutesy any day!

7. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
  8. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Quote:If you go down commercial past the hatchey towards 32 and buffalo and all that, there is a moving place on the right side of the road. They don't always have the crates but I usually see some out there. These are the crates they use to move things from and to Fort Wood. Oh and btw [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by