Great idea ruined by vast PVC conspiracy

Krugerrand

Crowing
Apr 17, 2020
SW Pennsylvania
So, I had a great idea to improve safety near some low hanging roof pieces. I don't want kids running past and catching the edge of the steel roof, or tripping over the ground anchor.

I added a steel t-post (free - on hand) and wrapped it with a swim noodle ($0.79).

IMG_20210618_103723_312.jpg

Then, I slipped 4" PVC pipe (free from neighbor) over that.

IMG_20210618_103740_050.jpg

Home Depot had a 4" drain cap for $2.46. Perfect, yes?

No.
IMG_20210618_103810_148.jpg

Apparently, 4" caps do not fit 4" pipes. So much for my $4 solution.

Sorry to laugh but I've totally been in that situation before. Sizing for pipes is so stupid sometimes. We switched from galvanized steel to copper pipes and let's just say 3/4" is not always 3/4" 🤷
What irritates me is that I got burned the other way on this. A few years ago, I was trying to replace a sewer cleanout in the basement. I measured the cap and bought one that size on Amazon. It didn't arrive the size listed. Apparently it was what fits that nominal size cleanout ... but is not the actual measurement. So, this time, the pipe is stamped 4", so I expect I can buy the 4" cap ... no such luck.

So, I had a great idea to improve safety near some low hanging roof pieces. I don't want kids running past and catching the edge of the steel roof, or tripping over the ground anchor.

I added a steel t-post (free - on hand) and wrapped it with a swim noodle ($0.79).

View attachment 2723895

View attachment 2723896

No.
View attachment 2723897

Can you put a 4" inside connector in the pipe and put the cap on it in the pipe so the cap will fit or exchange the cap you bought. Take a piece of pipe with you so you can fit it. Sometimes customers don't pay attention to where they got something and just stick it anywhere and my luck would be I would pick that one up. Hope you rectify it. Good luck...
InsideConnector.jpg

Pipe is measured inside diameter. 4 inch is gonna be 4 inch but depending on wall thickness or material it's different on outside diameter.

Your pipe in the picture is schedule 40 (wall thickness) and it looks like you have a schedule 20 cap. 40 is thicker walled than 20.

https://www.engineersedge.com/pipe_schedules.htm

Tubing is measured by outside diameter. Easy way to remember is if the inside is doing the work (like flowing water) The inside diameter is important. If the outside is doing the work (like holding a building up) the outside measurement is the important part. Thats the down and dirty and there are some exceptions.

Pipe is measured inside diameter. 4 inch is gonna be 4 inch but depending on wall thickness or material it's different on outside diameter.

Your pipe in the picture is schedule 40 (wall thickness) and it looks like you have a schedule 20 cap. 40 is thicker walled than 20.

https://www.engineersedge.com/pipe_schedules.htm

Tubing is measured by outside diameter. Easy way to remember is if the inside is doing the work (like flowing water) The inside diameter is important. If the outside is doing the work (like holding a building up) the outside measurement is the important part. Thats the down and dirty and there are some exceptions.
eh, I think you're in on the conspiracy! :rant:lau

but seriously ... that's good info. thank you.

View attachment 2723895

View attachment 2723896

No.
View attachment 2723897

Close enough for government work. ;)

Back
Top Bottom