##great idea## update first post

annie3001

My Girls
13 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Ct.
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/skill-builder/0,,211604,00.html

34076_img_2608.jpg

it does work.... you just need like 100!!!!!!

i just got back from the store and picked up the ice melt... it cant be the rocks tho. and alot of nylons. the cashier at the grocery store, just looked at me kinda funny. dont care. bet this will work tho. we have alot of thick ice on our roof.

Last edited:
i know right!!! why would it not work?? ha especially if this old house recommends it!!! gonna let everyone know if it works. perhaps ill take some pictures of it up. sure my neighbors are gonna wonder what is going on with us!!!!
lol.png

I saw a recent episode (maybe it was ask this old house) where they showed salt pellets about the size of hockey pucks that you could just throw up on the roof. Eliminating the need to get on a ladder. Called "roof melt" of something like that.
I have used this method ( the nylons) on a 4 story commercial building in downtown kalamazoo a few years back Needed a 65' aerial platform lift to get to the roof but it worked and kept thier roof clear till spring. They wound up installing heat tape to permanently solve the problem.
Good luck.

Quote:
I love this idea and have a corner of my house that I'd like to try it on. But one question: Why can't it be the rocks? I've never seen it in any other form..... (mine are like pebble sized).

dont know why the rocks.? perhaps damaging to the roof:/ ? i dunno. thats what someone other than the website told hubby. i wish i could do it, while i wait on hubby to come home from work. but i just about died outside. i went into the large bank of snow to get my kids cozy coops out.... to drag into the house and remove the snow etc. etc. so they can play in the house with them. they are going bananas in the house. figured this would hold the out for a bit. i placed a portable heater by the cars to dry them out.
lol.png

Back then we used rock salt without a problem. You will never use the nylons for anything else. Also rock salt takes longer to dissolve.

Hmmmm, I have a standing seam tin roof over a 140 year old log house sided in vinyl. So I haven't noticed seepage (I think the snow birds help with thaqt) but I wonder if it would help for those gargantuan icicles that form in certain corners of the gutters, like where the front of the house and the back addition meet and the roof pitches from each part are perpendicular to each other. Those icicles get to be several feet long and could sure kill you if you happened to be under them when they fall.

Back
Top Bottom